Colt barrel question

RikWriter

Here's my situation:
At the show this weekend I acquired an early Series 80 Colt Govt Model. When I looked at the barrel while inspecting the gun, I didn't notice anything amiss, but I only gave it a cursory glance and didn't disassemble the gun.
I took the gun to the range, put a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems, and when I disassembled it for cleaning, I noticed some very shallow pitting on one section of the barrel near the chamber.
What I need to know is, is it possible to get a Colt marked 45 barrel, where can I buy one if it is possible, how much it would cost and whether putting it in would involve fitting of any kind or if it is just drop in.
TIA

Try http://www.brownells.com they have all kinds of barrel plus factory parts also, if you are going to buy a barrel, I would get one that has to be fited to your slide and frame, that way you can get a good barrel lockup, some drop in or pre-fit barrel dont fit that good sometimes.

Relax Rik,

You can get a genuwine Colt marked bbl from the colt distributors listed in the little pamphlet they give you with the gun.

There was a guy at a gunshow in ATL that had all kinds of Colt parts including bbls jes like the one you want. I sould say the barrels are prefit because he had nickel ones and they were already plated. Don't think you can fit them after that!

BTW, do the pits make any difference in the accuracy as you see it?

My german luger looks like a potato field in the bbl but still shoots like a laser pointer. I had another one that looked the the moon's surface, but ditto. If it was any more accurate it would be SCARY!

If you're getting good groups, I wouldn't worry about it at this time.

If the low hits are due to the sights, and not from something you're doing with regards to sight picture, I'd spend some time with the sights. Either carefully file a itty-bit (or less :) ) at a time off the front, or change to adjustable sights.

Good luck,

Art

Back