Colt Auto Slide Repair

SVO

I have a 1976 model Colt 1911 in 38 Super that I picked up at an estate sale. I think that at one time, the gun was fitted with rib, as there are three tapped holes in the top of the slide. I was wondering if it would be possible to tig weld up the holes to fill them and then refinish slide. Would the tig welded spots show thru the bluing finish? Or should I leave well enough alone and let it be?

You never quite match the alloy so the weld will always show. If you don't like the holes just put screws in the holes.

If you don't like the look of screws and want to fill the hole, soldering is better than welding.
It won't heat the slide up with possible damage and it's easily reversed.
Coloring it might be a problem, though.
Nothing wrong with good looking screws, though.
Makes it look industrial.

I say go with the plug screws. Trying to weld the holes risks ending up with a job that looks like heck, far worse than plug screws.

If you do weld/solder the holes, using one of the new paints might be better than plating, since it will be easy to do the frame in the same color.

Jim

I didn't know if this was possible, but should I go forward with this, it's not a job that I would tackle myself. I'd be looking for someone who could weld up the holes, work the welds and then re-finish the slide. Had not considered a nickle or chrome finish. Thanks for the input

Back