purchase a set of the Smith & Wesson wooden grip's
with the S&W monogram's for this round-butted gun;
but I have hench gone back to the standard Hogue
monogrip's.:eek: The only thing I don't like about it
is the laser engraved marking's on the barrel.:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Colt or S. & W.

Tough question. I have an older model 29, 6 1/2 " barrel. Great shooter, and provider. I did shoot the Colt Anaconda, several years back, and by the time I decided to buy one, it was gone. If you are looking at an older 629, then it is pretty much a toss-up. The new Smith's are not that well made, and the actions are not tunable, as are the older ones.:cool:

Get a used Anaconda in good condition.
The trigger on mine is superb.

I would not buy a new one from either company.

Don't know anything about the Anaconda, but my 629 Classic with an 8 3/8" bbl. is a real pleasure to shoot. Obviously, when you have that much barrel hanging out there, recoil is hardly noticed.

Have to admit, bought the gun about eight or nine years ago and I really don't know what their quality is today.

Safe shooting.

My Anaconda has a great trigger and the most accurate revolver I have ever had. Very nice. I bought it the first year they came out.

I think it depends on what you want to shoot in it. If you want to shoot a lot of 300gr max loads I think the Anaconda will hold up better. They have made improvements to the S&W line to handle the heavy loads but I think the Anaconda will handle it better. Older 29's just aren't up to it, the trigger on my 29-2 will stick in the rear position with nearly every shot so I no longer use heavy bullets in it - ever - no point in beating up a fine old revolver.

Also, in my opinion, I think the Anaconda looks better than the 629 Classic.

Seen (and heard of) too many Anacondas with timing and endshake problems. Also, QC on all but the earliest seems spotty.

If you find a good one that times, well, they're sweet-looking guns...

Rough call. I was in that boat a few years ago. Trying to decide between a 629 and an Anaconda. I went with the Anaconda and have been very happy with it. I think I would have been just as happy with the 629.

I remember liking the cylinder release, trigger and grip better on the S&W, but the hammer, looks and feel of the Anaconda better. It was a coin toss until I found a great deal on a NIB Anaconda.

Sorry I couldn't be of much more help.

NO HELP AT ALL

5.5" Redhawk.

Of the other two, Colt (at least) can take longer cartridge.

Still recommend Redhawk (unless, of course, your new purchase won't be fired much with hairy-chest ammo).

I own both Colt Anaconda and Smith Classic DX 6.5 inch 44 magnum. There is no qwestion that the Smith is a better piece. The Smith single action trigger is far superior to the Anaconda, and all of the Rugers. I recommend the Smith
Herb

From personal experience there is no question that I would go with the 629. My Anaconda was a POS and long gone but I have two 629s and am considering a third. Incredible triggers, great accuracy.

The Anacondas cylinder would tie up every shot. The trigger started out pretty good but got steadily worse until it was quite gritty. Calls to Colt were answered with, "It's just your imagination." However as with all makes maybe it was just mine.

Have to agree with a couple of the replys on the Anaconda,I had one of the early ones and it was probably the worst new gun I ever bought. Colt service was as bad as the gun. Maybe the later ones were OK but beware.
Melvin

My Anaconda was one of the biggest disappointments...I traded a perfectly good SIG P239 for it unseen, only to find that the trigger on the 'Conda was lousy (stacking and gritty), and the forcing cone eroded rather quickly. It also never timed properly. I had it for a few weeks before trading it back to the gun store for credit.

Any of my N-frames were better than that Anaconda in every respect...tighter guns, better triggers, no timing issues. Two of my bigeest handgun diappointments were Colt revolvers, so I guess I don't have much luck with Prancing Pony wheelguns.

I'd go with the 629, personally. They don't match the old 29s for looks and lockwork, but they're still miles ahead of anything I've seen out of Colt in recent years.

colt anaconda

I am fortunate to own many .44's. All old, pinned recess bbl smiths etc, and Nothing compares to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a Colt Anaconda when they first came out, and the action was a little on the rough side so with a little stoning, good lube, it was slick and smooth. The stacking of a Colt trigger is different from a Smith, not better or worse, just different. I put on a pair of "Bear Hug" grips when they were still in bussiness, and that pistol shot GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

My son decicded to help me out and it is in his gun safe.

I now shoot my 5" Smith, Classic ,or my Ruger Super Blackhawk. My Daughter has my "old"nickel S&W.

To tell you the truth, theyr'e all pretty good handguns, but I favor the old S&W. I rarely shoot my old 6 1/2" S&W. I know its a shame but................;) ;)

Back