Colt Agent

the general answer is yes...and no

"once in a while" ???

the colt d-frame is stronger than the smith j-frame by design, so...if you you are willing to shoot +p stuff in the one you can do it in the other. neither gun will explode in your hand :eek: , but the frame does take a beating... with a colt holding up better than a smith.

i used to shoot +p in my d-frame on a regular basis and never experienced a problem...but i was somwhat more aware of the potential

Aluminum frame,

I would not shoot too many. Only in duress. Best to use standard loads.

You may want to try standard .38 Special loads in heavy cast SWC bullets rather than use the +P stuff.

In an "old model" Agent pre 1972 with the exposed ejector
rod, I would be very careful of shooting +P ammo. I'm sure
it would suffer from a limited life span.:eek: :( :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

i should clarify...mine was a newer model, with the shouded ejector rod. i would be reluctant to fire an older model...you should be nice to them, they've had a hard life :p

my understanding was you wanted to shoot +p's

if you're not hung up on the "+p" label, i would recommend the federal "chief's special" nyclad 125gr (non +p) HP. it was originally marketed by smith and was designed to expand at standard velocities out of the 2" j-frame

I've Done It - - -

- - -But there's no use in putting gratuitous --and greatly accelerated-- wear and tear on a nifty little piece.

I know where the Remington 158 Gr. LSWCHP +P hits in relation to my mild handloads. I practice with the latter, and carry the former.

I've had to have my S&W M37 in shop twice for end shake removal, from practice with +P equivalent loads, and don't want to go through the same thing with the lil' Colt.;)

Best,
Johnny

I've got a very nice 1970 colt AGENT, And I'm happy shooting/carrying FED. 110gPD or 125g nyclads and WIN.110g STHP's, Mine is currently loadded with the STHP's cause I get a slight edge in accuracy.

Well, I have one of the older non-shrouded bbl Agents as a daily carry piece, and all I ever shoot in it is 158 LSWCHP +P.

Now, I don't shoot it very much at each session(kicks like hell with the factory grips, but they hide the best), but it's still tight after almost a thousand rounds over the years.

I'm sure it will loosen up eventually, but I'm not too concerned. With a little care it'll probably outlast me.

Back