Colt 9mm vs HK 94

thequickad

O.K. so the Colt is about 1/2 the price (or even 1/3) of the HK due to the import ban and the crime bill.

But which one is better and why?

------------------
If you want peace, prepare for war.

In my area, it is actually easier to find parts for the HK than the CAR 9, but, of course, the parts are very, very expensive!!! To get the HK spare parts you have to go to the higher end dealers, but at least they are available... In my opinion, the HK is a better model in terms of fit and finish... The CAR 9 was more of an after thought to adapt an AR .223 to fire 9mm, hence the pinned mag well adaptor, which seems kind of cheap looking considering the price of the CAR 9. (perhaps it is cheaper in your area, but a pre-ban CAR 9 in Southern California will be about $1800! Although, the HK 94 is over $4000! Yikes!!!) If price wasn't a consideration, I would most certainly go for the HK (more prestige and "wow" factor in my opinion), but for twice the cost, is it worth it? That is something only you can decide...

Actually the HK94 is considered "evil" in California. I looked at a SP89 and it is hovering around $4K like you said. The fit and finish is better on the HK and the wow factor. But without a shoulder stock or a K-grip, it won't group well. So I guess you are right and I answered my own question. If the price is the same, go for the HK, otherwise, the Colt.

------------------
If you want peace, prepare for war.

At first I did not like the colt 9 myself. Then I thought about the engineering and training reality. The colt is the answer to the same question that brought about the HK.
How do you train troops for the use of different weapons and keep a supply of parts on hand for maintenance. You use the same design as your primary weapon system. I have extensivly shot both and do not have a preference except for my having the Armalite design rifles in my persnal inventory. Therefore I have the Colt not the HK. I can keep fewer interchangeable parts on hand. I have no problem switching back and forth between the designs because I have worked with both enough to be able to "switch channels" subconsciencly sp? I just have to do a couble of action drills to refresh this.

Both are just as equal is use it just depends on what you can afford or have access to. I do prefer the colt 9 configured into a flat top with dot sight and supressor to the HK.

My thoughts,

Cheers,

ts

Magazine durability goes to H&K. 9mm Colt smg mags are notorious for releasing a "golden shower (of brass)" if accidentally dropped. HK mags won't do that.

Another perspective is that while neither gun is difficult to service, you'll need fewer expensive tools for a Colt. Barrel changes are easy on Colt (not so with H&K) and don't even think of trying to get a receiver dent remover from H&K.

While I think HK is more rugged and for a SMG I'll swear by H&K, Colt is certainly more affordable and for a semi automatic pistol caliber carbine, don't expect too much except FUN, FUN and FUN.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back