colt .45

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthur

gentlemen,i just picked up a colt mark 4-series 70-government model yesterday.it is in very nice shape.what do you learned gentlemen think of this pistol? i bought it as a shooter.commentary is welcomed.---------thankyou----arthur

JMHO you are now in possesion of the finest defensive handgun ever. With a little work, it can be an outstanding target or competition firearm as well. However, the 1911 as made by Colt can sometimes be finicky as to what it will feed reliably. Be sure to use only top quality magazines and function fire at least 200 rounds of your chosen defense ammo without a malfunction before trusting your life to it. Of course, that rule really applies to any defensive weapon.

grayfox-thanks for your comments,i know shoot hardball in my 625 for cheap range practice,i keep some full moon clips loaded with premium hollowpoint for bedside night table,defence use.feeding is not a problem with the 625,it will shoot anything.what would you recommend for my new pistol as a defence round in the 230 grain weight range where feeding reliability is a concern?i understand that it is best to use a hollowpoint that has as close a shape as possible to hardball.do you or others have any recommendations---thankyou----arthur

If you have a 1911 that is finicky, try some Wilson follower kits for tthe mags. Wilson mags look dopey with that floorplate extension and the kits allow you to recycle factory mags. These really made my Gold Cup reliable with SWC and CorBon HPs (haven't tried anything else). I even trust it for defense.

The series 70 by colt is probably one of the best made ever. You don't have the stupid firing pin safety of the series 80 and 90 for instance. Only drawback I know of is it has a small ejection port so it works best with hardball. Have the port opened up if you want to use radical wide mouth hollowpoints etc.

Arthur,
I pretty much believe any of the current quality hollowpoints from any major manufacturer is a good choice for defense ammo. My personal criteria for defense ammo is first feed reliability and second accuracy. My Commander is loaded with Winchester's 230 gr SXT as this has proven completely reliable and is the most accurate factory ammo in my gun. You may need to experiment a bit to find what your gun likes.
I also go along with the comment on Wilson magazines and follower kits. I had two Colt factory mags that had the Shooting Star followers. Nothing but problems out of them. I changed them to Wilson followers and the problems disappeared.

On the Series 70, little needs to be done to make a primo carry and defense weapon. The trigger usually needs a little attention, sights should be large and capable of fast acquistion and feeding has to be reliable. A good smith can do all of the above.

Back when the model came out, there was some negative stuff about one of the fingers on the collet bushing breaking occasionally. The furor seems to have died down, but changing to a well fitted solid bushing will fix. OTOH, I shot mine through about 8-10,000 rounds in one year and never had a problem. Mods were limited trigger work and the installation of large, fixed sights.

The above info about reliability is excellent. Usually, s little polishing of the feed ramp is a good idea, and relieving the ejection port helps. BTW, if your brass is dented on one side after firing, relieving that port should fix.

As for ammo, there's not any bad 45 loads out there. Pick a reliable soft nose or HP that groups well and be easy in your mind. The piece will do its part if you do yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back