Colt .357mag Python

Smiley

I just came to the realization that i may never own a Colt .357 mag Python with a 4" ribbed barrel. This is the gun that my father owned and showed me when i was young. This is the first handgun that i ever fired. I saw one years ago in a store but for some reason i opted to get the 9mm auto. the very next day the columbine tragedy happened and i beleive that was right around the same time that Colt decided to stop manufacturing handguns for the public. I realize now that i really want one of these awsome guns but will probably never find one new (I prefer to buy only brand new). Please somebody tell me that i can still get one.

im kicking myself for picking that dumb auto. im even thinking of selling it anyways. Coulda shoulda woulda.

You might find a NIB 4" Colt Python among the collection of
Colt revolver collector's.:) Demand has superceded supply of the old original versions.:( With that said, a collector would ask (and probably receive) top dollar for one of these
pieces in NIB, or LNIB condition.:eek: Don't be surprised if
a collector put's a price tag of around $1,000.00 per copy,
on a unit that is NIB.:rolleyes:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

PS: It's my understanding that Colt will soon unveil plans
to reintroduce the Python, for sale to civilians.

Smiley; I understand where you're coming from. These revolvers have a certain mystique about them but to be honest with you there are better revolvers. Please, this is just a story but I've got to tell it. One of my shootin' buddies had his prize Python that he cherised so much. It was a '89 vintage I believe. In '97 it went "out of tune" (ie ,won't work). He sent it to Colt and they made it right. I had an old Ruger DA 357 maggie (the ugly ones) and it lasted a helluva long time before I traded it. S&W mod 66's are sweet(please get a used one) or Ruger's GP-100 are hell for stout. Good Luck. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

I disagree respectfully with J Parker. The Python may be more delicate than a Ruger, but it is still a superior revolver.

The fit, finish, trigger, and overall buttery smoothness of a Python is second to none. Occasionally, one may go out of tune, but I have extensively fired two and this has not been a problem for me.

And Smiley, dont get worried about finding a newly manufactured Python. The 70's and 80's pythons are in general better fit and finished both internally and externally than later models.

Anyone who's been on the Revolver forum the last month or so knows I've been obsessed with finding a Python. Now I have one, and it's beautiful and smooth. After asking a thousand questions, I've posted what I hope will be my last regarding this gun over on the Smithy forum. If anyone can help answer my question, I'd appreciate it.

As for the question of "value," that is one of the few true relative issues. Is an M16A2 that the law enforcement agencies pay $500 for worth $6000 privately? For that matter, is any stamped metal handgun or rifle that cost $400 in 1994 really worth five or ten times that now? It's just supply and demand. No more Pythons and a whole bunch of buyers equals high prices.

Unfortunately, the government seems to be dictating boths sides of the equation.

Dick

BTW, a dealer friend who was at the SHOT show said the Python will be re-introduced in stainless only. Any confirmations on that?

Dr45ACP; I must agree, there is a fanatical following of the Python. It's one sweet revolver if one can afford it. I've got an old S&W mod 28 that's still works just fine. Doesn't look very pretty but works great. If a Python was as old as this mod 28 it would have been pushin' up daisies long ago. Python's are kinda' like Sig P-210's or H&K's P-7's. Over-hyped, over-priced but they still get the job done.:)Best Regards, J. Parker

the true value of a python is the pride in ownership of a gun that was designed to be fitted by hand without the benifit of CNC or MIM. its the same reason people buy italian exotic cars...surely not because they'll start everyday.

the python action has one mainspring that "powers" the rest of the action through a series of levers and cams...thats why it cost more to tune the trigger of a python than a smith or ruger.

pythons are more accurate by design (1 in 14" twist, choked barrel), look cool :cool: (ventilated rib, elongated diamonds on hammer) and have outstanding finishes (still do, i think smith's "bright blue" :( is a thing of the past)

python people are attacted to the same "quirks" ;) as HK P9s and P7 people.

Smiley, when you said '..i beleive that was right around the same time that Colt decided to stop manufacturing handguns for the public.' You got some real crap info there. Colt has NEVER stopped manufacturing handguns for the public. They did discontinue the Python about 2 years ago, but if you read my SHOT Show reports you would have seen that the Python and Anaconda are scheduled to go back into production sometime this year.

I got mine (blue 4") on gunbroker for 600. A little holster wear but that makes me feel better about shooting it. Hopefully with Colt reintroing this model the used ones will come down a bit.

I just picked up a pristine early 70's Python 4" blue for $700 off of an internet website and it looked way better than the pick showed. If you search sites like 'gunsamerica' or such, you can still find some people selling their's for a decent price. It may just take a little bit to find just what you want, but they are still available.

Randall

I paid $750 for my 6" nickel. Those prices had better _not_ come down!

BTW, do any of you with Pythons notice some marring on the side of the hammer where it enters the frame? I asked about this on another forum, but since it's relevant will ask it here. The gun I got is a shooter, but I expect it to be mechanically perfect and cosmetically near perfect.

Dick

J. Parker,

My M27-2 is doing fine, my wifes five screw M&P is great, both my 5 screw K-22's are healthy. But so is my 1961 vintage Python. Never needed anything but a good cleaning now and then. I will admit to puting some loads through the M27 that I probably won't try in the Python, but that is as much for MY hands as it is for the gun!

Back