Colt 357

Super Old Revolver!

I have one very similar. EDIT: Mine says
"COLT .357
.357 MAGNUM CTG"

on left side of barrel, from back in days when the Troooper model was in .38 Spl only. Later ones showed "Trooper" on barrel of the .357.

Mine has the smaller factory stocks on it, with a Pachmayr "Grip Adapter."

Which marking has yours?

Killed one small buck with mine.

Best,
Johnny

Last edited:
NICE gun. The Colt .357 was Colt's first post war new gun. It was Colt's top of the line revolver, until the Python came out. The Trooper was a cheaper, police version. Around 1960 the .357 was rolled into the Trooper series since most people wanting the best bought the Python, and the police bought the Trooper.

Your gun appears to be an early model with the round leaf rear sight base.
There were only 15,000 .357's made. HANG ON TO IT.

You lucky dog!

You Lucky Dog!:) I had one of the first Trooper marked .357s. GREAT HANDGUN! Bad thing was, I got a case of the stupids and let a friend :confused: talk me out of it. Dummmmmmmm!

colt toy

S&W 44

That is indeed a great pre-python 357!! I think you'll find the inner workings darn near identical to the python.
Silly me, Ive passed on the 6" version of the same gun!!!:mad: :mad: :(
Oh by the way it is a tack driver!
Shoot safe and often!

I had a six inch barrel version that was reblued. I sold it when money was tight and I wish that I still had it. It was a very accurrate shooter.

You would do well in IDPA with that four inch Colt 357 revolver.

My error on markings - - -

I wrote earlier that mine had "Three-Fifty-Seven" written out on barrel. Sorry--Looked at it this morning and find that it has numerals, as in my edited version, above.

Anyhow, while looking at it, I was taken with the wild hair and decided to carry it today. So it is stoked up with Remington 158 gr jacket HPs, and rides in a tan belt slide holster as I write this at the office. I guess I'm about due to re-qual with it.

Yours is in much nicer shape than mine, which has a lot of bluing wear on forward quarter of the barrel, and some minor nicks and scratches. Probably about 80% finish, but mechanically perfect.

My serial number is 90XX, indicating production in 1956.

I've always liked the Colt ".41" frame revolvers. The .357s are noticibly beefier than the S&W K-frames, and hold up much better to a steady diet of heavy loads, while not being so massive as the S&W N-frames. The Smith L-frame, of course, was their belated answer to the Colt Python and Trooper models, when it became popular for LE agencies to qualify with full-power loads, and the K-frame mags were shaking loose.

Best,
Johnny

If you guys like old Colt revolvers, Ray's Hardware and Sporting Goods has old Colts like Detective Specials and The .357 snub NEW IN THE BOX for sale. Ray's is on Singleton in Dallas, TX.

Yeah, Ray's has always had some nice stuff, Will - - -

I don't think I've beeen in the shop since Ray Brantley passed on. I don't guess the prices for the fantastic old stuff have become any more reasonable that in years past, have they?

But is sure was nice to gaze upon, huh?

;)

Johnny

Back