Colt 2nd generation SAA

tl

I need some help evaluating a potential purchase. A local dealer has a Colt revolver, blue/color case, 7.5" barrel, black grips, no engraving, that he he describes as 2nd generation, and for which he's asking $1500. The gun has never been fired (unless it was done so at the factory), and has the original styrofoam/cardboard box which is age-worn but in reasonably good condition. If I understood correctly the revolver was out for awhile as part of a wall display, but was not 'in the case' where it would have been handled by prospective buyers. The dealer brought it out during a discussion regarding single action revolvers, for which I've developed an interest in the past few months but don't as yet own one. To my untrained eye the gun appears to be in excellent condition.

I confess to much ignorance regarding the nomenclature of SAA revolvers, so please excuse if I've erred in my description. This dealer has treated me well as a customer, but I don't have the knowledge to confirm its 2nd generation status. This would be significantly more than I've ever paid for a gun, but I'm tempted because of the Colt aura. The question is whether this is a reasonable price?

I should note that it would be my intent to actually fire this gun should I buy it.

If you want one to shoot, IMHO, buy a third generation. They are going for about the same price. The price you mention is OK, but, if it is in fact unfired, it will continue to appreciate in value.

If it's unfired and in the box, that's a good price. You can tell the age of the gun by the box: the very early ones had a hinged black box with "Colt" stamped in gold on the top; the next series had a box with a stagecoach scene on it; the last 2nd generations had a woodgrain box with end flaps. If it's in the black box, it's worth much more than the later ones. The 7.5" barrel isn't as popular as the 5.5" and so doesn't command as much in price. Caliber affects the price, too, with .45 LC being the most desirable and .357 being the least.

But, if you're going to shoot the SAA you buy, please don't buy this one! Doing so would remove an unfired specimen from the pool available to collectors.

As already mentioned, you can pick up 3rd generations for about the same price. And, if you're going to shoot it, why not get one that's been fired but is in like new condition for even less?

I know the box wasn't black, and remember a brown color with end flaps, so it's probably a later 2nd generation. I neglected to mention it is a .45 LC.

It seems that if I buy this I should consider it an investment, which hasn't been a significant interest to me. Also, I know collector's get serious about the minutia of the things collected and it would be easy for a neophyte like me to overlook something that could greatly affect the value.

More food for thought; thanks for the replies.

First Generation SAAs were made from 1873 to 1940. The Second Gereration models were made from 1955 to 1979. The Thrid Generation started production in 1979 and continues on a limited basis today.

First Generation SAAs have no prefix or suffix in the serial number. Second Generations have a suffix of "SA". The Third Gen's have a "SA" prefix. There are some variations in this but the above is the general rule.

I do not have the "collector" mentality. That standard production SAA was made to be used, not put away as an "objet d'art". If you like, appreciate, and admire the look and feel of the SAA, buy it and shoot it. It was made to be used, not admired. And, a well cared for but used revolver has more character and personality than a pristine, untuched, non functioning version of the same gun.

YMMV!

Dave T, I offered the previous advice from my own research on 2nd generation SAA's. There's a whole book devoted to the subject, so detailed that it tells you what color pencil was used to write on the inside of the grips for what particular year.

I do agree with you, though: it's no fun to just look at a gun and not be able to fire it, or even be able to cock it without ruining its value. That's why I sold mine. But, 100 years from now, I hope there are perfect specimens in museums so that gun owners can see what was produced.

If I had the money, I'd buy one to shoot and one to sit on the mantle. Unfortunately, the nod has to go to a shooter.

Thanks Dave T for the additional information; the next time I'm at the shop I'll check it over more, and take another look at the box. If I buy it, I'll shoot it; not as much as my semi-autos, but enough to appreciate it. I doubt I'll ever have 'mantle' guns that have not been shot, because I'd like to pass on some family history with my firearms.

I read an interesting article on a numismatist site that talked about a similar investor vs. hobbyist issue in the coin collecting industry. The author's contention was that investors create a perceived sense of value only for the next generation of investors. The fact that the object is a gold coin that circulated during the U.S. civil war means nothing to them. And if the next wave of investors doesn't come along, the market falls dramatically and those investors look elsewhere. Those who enjoy the hobby stay on, and enjoy the intrinsic 'character and personality' (to borrow from Dave T) of their interests. Seems like this might also be true in the shooting industry, IMO.

Back