Colt 2ed generation SAA question on id #s

leebear

Inactive
Folks. I"ve got a 45 saa 2ed generation with a s/n on the main frame 65088SA.
The loading gate has only the numbers 61 stamped . .My question is what numbers should be the same and or different in that production period. Help please.

As I understand it, the gate number is an assembly number like the one under a S&W Hand Ejector yoke. Not meant to match the gun serial number.

I think Mr. Watson is correct, but I am just a novice with these guns.

According to the Colt SAA serial number chart posted on the Colt forum, 65088SA was produced early in 2012 and should be designated as a late (recent) production 3rd Generation Single Action Army, not a 2nd Gen.

The SAA Colt quality in fit & finish over the past 15 years or so has been of excellent quality after the Hit & miss of the late 1970s, all of the 1980s, & the early '90s.

Mine was made in 1979 but is a pretty good one.

Last edited:
Howdy

The number on the loading gate is just an assembly number. Has nothing to do with the SN.

However, according to my books, 65088SA would was built in 1973, making it a late 2nd Gen. Serial Numbers for 1973 ran from 64,401SA to 69,400SA with 4,999 produced that year.

I have one with the SN 647XXSA, which I had lettered a few years ago, and it was produced in January of 1973. Pretty darn close to the OP's 2nd Gen SAA.

The 3rd Gen started in 1976 with SN 80,000SA.

Driftwood is correct - I misread the serial number list & bunched up the S & A as a "Suffix". Sorry for the senior moment. :o

There is a number on the loading gate because it is assembled to the frame and polished down with the frame to ensure a perfect match, then removed for final finishing. There is an identical number on the frame (hidden by the trigger guard) to ensure that the fitted frame and gate get back together again after bluing/case hardening. (That number has no connection to the serial number, which is put on later.)

Jim

C'mon. All this discussion on SAAs and not even one photo?

1979 44 Special with ivory...

standard.jpg

Ok, here's mine - but I know Mr. Driftwood has a bunch of them - hopefully he'll post a few. Always fun to see these classic American tools that are also works of art.

60a1514ad014b7072899403b12760503ca8733d.JPG

Not much on commemoratives, but this Colt Texas Sesquicentennial was a must buy just for the backstrap inscription & the mellow elephant ivory grips...

812253a456de8118b430929d4a4ed3e6c08b351.jpg

OK

2nd Gens. Top one shipped January 1973. Originally had a 12" barrel. Returned to the factory within a year and had the 7 1/2" barrel installed. Came with two 45 Colt cylinders. Bottom one is from 1968. Before I bought it somebody had 'antiqued' it by removing almost all the finish. I agonized for a while about refinishing it, but now I wouldn't dream of it.

SecondGens_zps1cfdcbb0.jpg

Bisley Colt, 38-40. Shipped 1909. Almost no finish left on it at all, but everything works perfectly, including the bent ejector rod handle, which I have no intention of trying to straighten.

bisley03_zpsa2a15e70.jpg

This Bisley is a little bit bizarre. Originally shipped in 1908. I have no idea what the original caliber was. Completely refinished. It has a 2nd Gen 44 Special barrel and cylinder, as well as fancy checkered grips.

BisleyColta.jpg

^^^ Very nice eye candy. :)

Driftwood, about 1970 in a Monterrey, Mexico shop I passed up a .38-40 no-finish Bisley just like your configuration because the asking price of $400 Pesos ($32 US at the time) was way too high.
And surprisingly, the shop owner didn't want to haggle even when I flashed the $25 US cash in hand.
That gun had a nice tight action - it had been pretty well taken care of for a South of the Border piece - strong bore that wasn't quite shiny.

Would've been a good shooter to go with my brother's Winchester '73 which has 90% finish & excellent bore. He took a deer with it at about that same time.
Still kicking myself over that one.

I try not to kick myself so much anymore. If I see something I want, and the price is not crazy, I buy it. Sure, I try and bargain a bit, but I don't want to be kicking myself later about trying to save a couple of bucks.

Back