Colt 22 Target

Jspy

Looking for info. on this model. I do know it was introduced in 1995, but was wondering what the quality or performance is. I have a chance to buy one, unfired, with boxes, papers,etc. This thing feels balanced well and I would assume it to be a tack driver. The top rail just screams for a scope on it...Would this rate a buy or pass?

Performance is OK and accuracy is good. Most objections were for other reasons, including esthetics. The design is basically an improved version of the High Standard Duramatic.

They go for about $290-300 NIB. Take off $50 for any wear at all or if it has been fired.

Jim

A friend of mine used his Colt .22 Target to shoot bullseye matches for a couple of years. He did amazingly well it, considering that the pistol was designed as a plinker. I tried it and found that the accuracy was excellent but the trigger reach was much too short for me.

One thing to consider is that you might have a hard time finding spare magazines.

New Colt 22

I'm assuming you are referring to the New Colt 22 which has a polymer frame and handle(actually built by Pachmayer)and a Bull barrel with the Black Vent Rib along the top? I just bought one, NIB, out here in California. It's a cool gun and when I picked it up....I new I had to have it. I own a Ruger Mk II with the 5.5" Bull Barrel and the Ruger shoots better but the Colt is pretty cool! Does the gun have the 6" barrel or the 4.5" barrel? Mine has the 4.5" and the problem is it shoots about 5" high at 30 feet!! It groups but is super high and is non adjustable. I personally can't believe Colt would send something like that out the door like this...oh well...most all the newer Colts SUCK anyway, what can one expect...this is my first and probably my last. I have it more for collectors value than anything. Parts are available, including Mags, through a company called Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters @ 412-766-6100. Colt gave me the referral when I called about the point of impact issue. I am going to put a new taller front blade sight on it to bring POI down. Let us know if you get it, I'm curious to know how yours does!

Tree Doc, it is a 100-yard pistol!

:) Mine shoots pretty much point-of-aim at 25 yards and 100 yards, other than the fact that the cheapo plastic sights suck so bad. I love shooting that gun, and with the right sights, like maybe a red-dot of some kind, you could easily plink soda-can-sized targets at 100 yards with it.

i like mine alot.. It is the short barreled version..I am looking for the longer version just have..I don't expect much of it so maybe that's why I am happy with it..It goes bang, cheap to shoot and its a great way to get my wife out to the range with me. Purely a plinker..

Jorah, What's your barrel length?

Jorah,
How long is the barrel on your gun, like I mentioned, mine is the 4,5". I have yet to shoot this thing at my outdoor range so maybe I'll take it out this weekend and stretch it out a bit like you say. You also mentioned the cheapo sights, I found mine to be a rare version! When looking for a replacement front blade, I was told that they are all supposed to be plastic ribs and the front blade is integral to the rib, that made we wonder as mine are machined aluminum as is the blade and the blade actually is an independent insert! I was referred back to Colt and they verified that just a handfull of the earliest guns were released with my sight configuration, a rarity. That made me kind of happy as this gun is no longer made and its in N.I.B. condition so maybe someday it might command a little more value...who knows!

Colt originally introduced the pistol as the Cadet. Then they discovered that another company had already copyrighted that name -- oops! So for the last three or so years of its production the pistol was named "the Colt .22" or something similarly generic.

Back