Colt .22 New Frontier

arman

Inactive
Please don't laugh too loud, but I have a .22 COLT New Frontier and was wondering if it had any value, since I assume they will not be made again? Any help would be appreciated. The gun is .22LR only, with ACCRO rear and 4 &3/4" bbl. Condition is MINT. Thanks for all replies.......arman

Ok, so what's the difference between a "New Frontier", a "Scout", and a ".22 Peacemaker"? Mine (the .22 Peacemaker), isn't even listed in many of the price/value catalogs. The few places that do list it, state value about the same as the other two. I believe that there were fewer of the Peacemakers produced, therefore ^$.

Frontier Scout Models have had several variations. Q Frontier Scout, Frontier Scout 62, Q Buntline Scout, Buntline Scout 62, and K Frontier Scout (Nickel). Rule of thumb is that K's had either walnut or staglite stocks. Q's were standard with hard rubber or plastic rampart colt type. Q's started in 1957, K's started in 1960 and K 62's started in 62. If you provide partial SN, I will try to give you an approx date of manufacture.

What are the bbl markings? They will also help to narrow it down. AFAIK the word Peacemaker and New Frontier were never used on the bbl.

One thing to check in the early Scout type revolvers is the cylinder stop. The early ones were made of folded sheet metal and were open at the top. After a short time, they bent and the revolver would fire with the cylinder out of alignment. The later ones had a metal tab folded over into the gap, and I think the even later ones had solid stops, like the SAA.

If a gun has the early type, I would replace it with one of the newer kind.

Jim

Do date, this is the only ".22 Peacemaker" I've ever seen. Although, the one book that I found it listed in gave a reasonable production number, though much lower in quantity than the Scout or New Frontier. It listed value @ $250, just like the other models. The "Date block" on the box says: 21 The "Code block" says G-1261 The price tag says: $74.95 :p

Here's the barrel stamp:
Peacemaker_Barrel_stamp.jpg

And the whole "kit":
http://musicman9.homestead.com/files/Peacemaker_Kit.jpg

Fastforty, the sn on the box dates to @ late 1971. Didn't go forward far enough in my searching. Peacemaker 22's were the final variation of the Frontier Scout series. They started in 1970 with G 10001 ended in 1977 with G03021RB picked up again in 82 at G200000 and went through at least 85 (G225044). Info from Wilson's book.

Back