Colt 1991A1

Osuvet85

I just acquired a Colt 1991A1. It just felt right in my hand when I picked it up. I've read these weren't Colt's best due to labor issues at the time of manufacturing, does anyone know something specific to watch for? Will it take full size 1911 grips? It is Commander sized. Thanks.

When was it made? I have been hearing the Colt QC BS for many years and while there is the occasional anecdotal story about this or that particular Colt being a dud, I also hear the same sort of stories about every other arms maker out there. I know it's hard to believe, but just because you heard it on the internet, doesn't make it true.

I am sure that a Colt hater will chime in sooner or later and talk about how he had a Colt 1911 and it was a piece of junk and his X/Y/Z brand 1911 is so much better. As I said, every manufacturer makes one that slips through QC from time to time. I have probably owned over twenty over the years but none of them (and none of the seven Colts that I currently own) have ever had any problems.

The Colt 1911/1911A1/1991's I have were made from 1917 up through 2013 and all are fine guns. One that I carry on a regular basis is a 1991 Officers Model made in 1983 and it has not only been flawless, but the trigger is very nearly as good as that on my '74 Gold Cup.

All full size 1911 pattern pistols will take the same grips. Those on my 1914 produced Springfield Armory 1911 fit perfectly on my 2013 M45A1.

The M1991A1 series was Colt's budget-priced line in the 1980s. Mechanically and functionally they are identical to the more expensive models, but they used a polymer trigger shoe and mainspring housing, and a less polished parkerized or black oxide finish. They are excellent pistols and, IMHO, there is nothing about them that you need to "watch for." I have owned three of the Officers ACP size (which was called "Compact" in the M1991A1 series). One of those has been a primary carry pistol for about ten years.

If yours is Commander size, it will accept standard 1911 grips.

Early ones had MIM extractors, and I'm not aware of any current 1911s using MIM for that part.

I used mine as a base for customization, and they're great for that.

Full-sized grips for Commander.

I've never owned or shot one, but I also haven't read tons of complaints about them over the years. If there's something you don't like, change it out. In any event, enjoy it!

https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

This link is the Colt Website serial number look up page.
Enter the serial number here and it will tell you what year your Commander was made.
From there you can research which years might be more desirable or sought after.

The original Commanders were aluminum frame and later steel frame as well as aluminum and even stainless. The Commander also takes the "full size" magazine with 7 or 8 round capacity.

Colt's are always in demand so their resale value is high.

Off of the top of my head, I can't think of anything to watch for.

I own and carry a full size 1991A1. I bought it new and have owned it for a number of years. It has the "plastic" trigger shoe and mainspring housing. It has the huge "billboard" rolling markings and the matte blue (black) finish. It's butt ugly, and I love it. No issues with trigger, mainspring housing or MIM extractor.

It has had quite a few rounds put through it, including factory loads and my hand loads. It has fed anything I've put through it, including some of the old "flying ash trays" and, as an experiment, any empty case or two. It sends bullets where I want them to go.

I had a gunsmith work on the action to get the trigger to 4 - 4.5 pounds, and I added some Kings combat sights.

My ugly old 1991A1 is reliable, and I'm quite satisfied with it.

the COLT M1991A1 came out around the time of the GULF WAR code named Operation Desert Storm

Desert Storm era COLT .45

I think it would make a nice gift for a soldier that served in the Gulf War because of the time it came out and the model number

Attachments

• 2020-08-19_163247.jpg
    2020-08-19_163247.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 42
I have two Colt 1991 5” Government Models. One in .45 ACP and one in 38 Super. I had Wayne Novak work them over back in the 90’s and they have been excellent pistols.

I've had a couple. They had a cheaper metal finish, cheaper sights, a plastic trigger and mainspring housing to reduce costs. But other than that the ones I had were just as accurate and reliable as the standard Colts of the time. Which meant quality was spotty. Some were fine, others not so much.

A lot of folks bought them as a cheaper alternative since they were going to go with a custom build and replace most of the cheaper parts anyway.

I had one (5" G.I. model) in the mid to late 90s. it had a black plastic trigger and a grey plastic MSH. the stainless finish was unpolished and a matt grey look. other than that is was every bit colt 1911 quality.

This gun did come out in 1991 as an anniversary edition. It was lessor price alternative for budget minded want to be Colt owners. I have owned one since the early 1990's shortly after they came out. It did have plastic parts, but mine was very reliable. I used it for a base for a custom gun, and to this day it is one of the most dependable and accurate guns I own. The grips will interchange without any problems. I hope you got a good deal, its a gun that should serve you well for a long time.

I had one or two of the plainly finished 1991s in .45 ACP. Good guns, but barrel fit was pretty "relaxed" in my examples. Some time after the 1991 series was introduced, Colt began selling complete frames and complete slides as kits. Or perhaps distributors broke up new guns to produce upper and lower kits, I really don't know. They came in the regular Colt factory cardboard picture boxes with a little sticker attached to the end flaps that said "frame kit" or "Slide kit", I found a frame kit at one distributor, a slide kit at another, and assembled a complete 1991. I added Heinie sights and few other modifications, and ended up with a very good gun. IIRC, this was the first time I'd had a factory barrel professionally welded up, then refitted by yours truly. That is the 1991 I wish I'd kept.

Wish I'd taken more, but in my pre-internet days, I can only recall taking one picture of my "kit gun", with a film camera no less;)

Attachments

• 1991A1 from kit.JPG
    1991A1 from kit.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 22
I bought a stainless one back in 1996 and had it customized. and I bought a park'd/mat blue one a few years ago that I kind of G.I.'d out. Excuse the poor picture quality.

1991-A1-2a.jpg

Idiot scratch was already there from the previous owner
20180730-204838a.jpg

20180730-204704a.jpg

Osuvet, Is your new pistol stainless or blue? If stainless I have a Colt trigger you can replace the plastic with, may have stainless mainspring housing also will need to check as I gave a pile of stainless parts away last week.

Back