Colt 1917 revolver

TooTech

I've got a Colt 1917 revolver in very nice condition. It has the military matte finish, and enough wear to look original, BUT while the acceptance stamp (left side, just above the cylinder release) is crisp, the rampant Colt stamping on the left side plate is faint.

The puzzler is that in addition to the serial number on the frame in the crane recess, and on the crane (181XXX), there is an additional number, 4240, on the crane, frame, AND again on the barrel.

The crane recess is also stamped with the letter "X" just above the 4240, and a small letter "H". The barrel is also stamped with the small letter "H".

What do I have here? Original gun, arsenal refinish, or a later refinish?

Thanks!

I really can't answer your primary question without seeing the gun. The light stamping could be just that, or it could mean refinishing.

The 181xxx serial number is the Colt Serial Number in the New Service series, made in February 1918. The 4240 is an assembly number and the letters are inspector's marks. The barrel should be marked "United States Property", and the butt should be marked "U.S. Army Model 1917" and a service number. That number should be around 10,000 but will have no relationship to the Colt serial number. The Army inspection mark should be GHS (Col. Gilbert H. Stewart), although LTC J.M. Gilbert (JMG) took over about that time.

HTH

Jim

Post updated with more info

I'll try and get a picture posted as well, but here's my original post updated with better information:

I've got a Colt 1917 revolver in very nice condition. It has the military matte finish with the "brush marks", and enough wear to look original, BUT while the JMG ("John Gibert?") acceptance stamp (left side, just above the cylinder release) is crisp, the rampant Colt stamping on the left side plate is faint.

In addition to the serial number on the frame in the crane recess, and on the crane (181XXX), there is an additional number, 4240, on the crane, frame, AND again on the barrel. The barrel has the expected "Colt .45 DA" on the left of the barrel, Colt patents on the top, and on the underside is the property stamp. The butt has the lanyard, and is marked "U.S. Army model 1917", and 30XXX.

The crane recess is also stamped with the letter "X" just above the 4240, and a small letter "H" - which from earlier posts I'm assuming represents "Frances Hosmer", and the number 5. The underneath of the barrel is also stamped with the small letter "H" on the barrel shoulder.

I've searched the forum and from previous posts it sounds like the gun is an arsenal refinish, BUT it does not have an "AA" stamped above the triggerguard. Is this a significant problem? Any ideas what the "X" stamp in the frame's crane recess designates?

Thanks!

starboard.jpg

port.jpg

barrel.jpg

grip.jpg

Last edited:
Back