Colt 1911 I.D help

breeze

I just picked up a Colt 1911, 5" .45. The serial starts with FG608XX. Do you have any idea of what the FG means? I have searched for it and have had no luck. Do you have any idea of what this is? All I "think" know is that it is a 80 series .45, thanks for any help.

How about some good pictures? Is the gun marked "Colt" and "M1911" or are you using the term "1911" as a general type? I can't find a record of that serial number prefix being used by Colt, but maybe someone else can help.

Jim

FG

I have done several searches on the net and it seems that the FG is not something normal. Thanks again.

Colt

I just took 8 pics and none came out good enough to show, "Cheap Camera" but I still would like to find out something about the serial number if possible, thanks to all of you for any help.

If you call Colt (1-800-962-COLT) and state the serial number they will tell you the year made.
I doubt it is anything but an alphanumeric combination you haven't seen before. They quit letting serial number information out years ago.

Thanks Jim. I have been told all kinds of things about this gun from Secret service and up. I was also told that Colt will not release info about these serial numbers. I called today but I'm in a different time zone so I will try again tomorrow.

Just did a little looking on Gunbroker and came up with several "F" prefixes, including "FC" "FE" "FR" and an "FG17352." As Jim Watson said, it's just part of Colt's alphanumeric numbering system used on Series 80 blued full size 1911s.

Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary here.

LOL!! Edit: I just went and dug my Series 80 out. SN FG204xx. I bought it in the 90s.

Last edited:
Thanks, now I can stop thinking I found something special. I did get a good deal on it though. Thanks everyone!!

I've got a 1911

I have to say when I started reading I was happy seeing some asking about fg in the sn. But I have to ask where did you come up with the fg is on a blued full size 1911 cause I have a ss with the sn FG336xx so that makes me scratch my head please can someone help me out

"FG" is just a two letter prefix used on Series 80/1911A1 pistols made (according to when I bought mine) in the mid 90s. It is used on both stainless and blue guns.

Back