Colt 1903-Never fired

Startech

Inactive
Hello all. I was willed this 32 ACP from my grandfather. He was not a shooter. I used to be, but that was 15 years ago. Anyways, when I got this, the slide was very stiff. So, I field stripped it. Got the spider webs out of the barrel, soaked it with wd-40 over night and cleaned it with a tooth brush and and old worn out .38 brush. Holy cow, it looks like it has never been fired. Slide is now smooth as new. How can I be sure it has never been fired or is it even important?

I was actually thinking about buying a concealed carry for the last few months.

What would you do? Sell it as an old gun never fired, or keep it and use it?

Colt1903PocketPistol001.jpg

Colt1903PocketPistol.jpg

Doesn't really matter, but what makes you think it has never been fired? Looks to me like it's seen better days.

I agree with noelf2 ^^^^^

It doesn't matter if it has been fired or not. The condition is abysmal.

At this point, a decent professional refinish would make it a nice CCW piece.

If it looks like that on the outside, I'd be seriously concerned about the recoil spring, bore, and magazine. It would be foolhardy to trust it as a weapon before having it checked out and removing the rust.

Thanks Gents, Bore looks brand new-no rust or marks of any kind. Breach where the bullet travels-same. Spring looks new also. Clip, not near as bad as outside of slide. I loaded 8 rounds (all came with gun) and cycled them as fast as I could several times with no issues. For safety, I think I will have the gun range master take a look at it and see how it fires since "never fired" means nothing. Serial no. indicates 1919 year.

When people say never been fired they usually mean pristine in the box. All bluing intact with no blemishes of any kind not even lint.:D That thing has been around the block several dozen times. It is restorable but it has been fired, you can bet on it.

Clip, not near as bad as outside of slide. I loaded 8 rounds (all came with gun) and cycled them as fast as I could several times with no issues.
"Magazine," young Jedi, not "clip." ;)

Hand-cycling really doesn't prove much of anything, other than the fact that the gun is capable of hand-cycling ammo. A real test will involve shooting it. Prior to that, take some steel wool and oil, and gently remove any rust from the exterior of the barrel and the interior of the slide and frame. Pay close attention to the locking lugs. Once that's done, put a light coat of oil on the contact surfaces. Clean the inside of the magazine, paying close attention to the spring. Make sure it's dry when you're done.

I'll agree with Hawg on this one: that gun has seen lots and lots of use. The grips didn't wear that way on their own, and looking down the bore is not how you judge whether or not the piece has been fired. Besides, it is severely rusted. Refinishing might take all the pits out or maybe not. Worth $200 to the right person.

Last edited:
agree with SCORCH... look how worn the grips look... the gun has been used / carried alot ( that doesn't mean it been fired alot ) a well used CCW weapon will have more external wear than internal

This is an exception to the rule about not refinishing as-found original weapons. It's mechanically sound, as you say, and worthless without refinish work. Restore it and keep it another generation or two.

Thanks for everyones input, to answer noelf2- The first thing I did, was run a dry swab down the barrel and took a look. The bore looked prestine-shiney, smooth with no marks of any kind. I think this is gonna be a great CCW to keep in the car although I am a little leary about the small caliber.

Sorry if the title of this thread seemed misleading-not sure how to describe a rusty old gun that may have never seen a live round used. The grips truly look new in person, the pics are not in the best lighting. I cant find a rub mark or wear on them with a magnifying glass.

Do you guys think it would be unsafe to shoot the 8 bullets that may be so old?
I find it amazing that Browning thought of a hidden hammer so long ago.
Thanks so much for the links.

I agree the collector value of that one is pretty well gone. I've very anti when it comes to refinishing, but you couldn't really hurt the value of that one. It would be a fun gun to shoot, but I believe I'd find something a little more modern and probably hollowpoint friendly for CCW use.

Checkering looks slick and the Colt logo rounded off, too.

Restoration to look new would be extremely expensive, and even a nice polished blue refinish would be pretty high. I have seen similarly neglected guns derusted and bead blasted then blued for a matte finish. They didn't look original but they look better than what they started out as. I guess you could even have it Parkerized like a WW II General Officer's Pistol. No danger if it being mistaken for a real one with that low a number.

If you get it refinished, or just disassembled for inspection, be sure to get it to somebody familiar with the design. There are many reports of how tricky it is to put them back together.

The old ammo would be safe but depending on HOW old, might misfire or might have chlorate primers which freak out a lot of people.
A fresh box of ammo would be a reasonable investment.
Do not expect a gun this old to be reliable with hollowpoints.
I sold a Remington Model 51 because it wasn't. Stupid of me, these smallbores need penetration more than expansion anyhow.

I have a 1903 from the same era that my Grandfather used as his carry/ night stand gun. Mine shoots hardball and hollow points. My problem is the aftermarket magazine I bought for it is not reliable enough for carry. SO I only use it for range days and use the original for carry. It has been a very reliable gun for me. I would have that one refinished due to current condition. Do not want rust stains on clothes from carrying it. .32 was considered a good carry weapon for many years until magnumitis set in.

Mwal

It has been a while since I have seen a set of grips that badly worn; if that gun was not fired, it was sure fondled a whole lot. I suspect the "pristine" barrel is a replacement.

Jim

Don't detail strip it :)

Those little Colts are great pistols. The nice barrel is practically a hen's tooth nowadays

Fired once or 10,000 times - that pistol could use a little TLC but I bet after it has some it will work like it was new. Well made machines and a pleasure to own. I'm happy to say a Model of 1903 in .32 ACP was my first Colt, and it's quite accurate once you get used to the teensy sights

Back