Colt 1889 DA 38 SN# Location(s)?

IIRC, those guns have several assembly numbers but the true serial number is stamped only on the butt in the two line format.

Jim

Under federal law. it is illegal to possess a firearm on which the serial number has been removed or obliterated, but that implies deliberate removal for criminal purposes. Furthermore, that section of the law excludes antique firearms, which that Colt is, the model 1889 not being made after 1894. I doubt there are any legal implications, at least at the federal level.

Jim

I was hoping there would be a "waiver" for antiques, I'm hesitant about which agency to initially contact as far as making this item good-to-go. ATF?

If you want a definitive answer, write a letter to ATF in Washington; do not contact the local office or ask someone. There is a slight (IMHO a very slight) chance that they may confiscate it, but I think they will tell you not to worry about it. (By going to their HQ, you get the straight answer without running into some gung-ho local agent out to get glory at your expense.)

What you might do is to examine the serial number closely and determine what it is as best you can. AFAIK, the last number was 31000, so it can't be more than that. Then you can restamp that number on the frame under the grip. (No law says you can't put on a duplicate number.)

Jim

Back