Colt 1873 Single Action Frontier

cek

This is the 3rd gun I am posting to get more info on.

• Previous assessment stated "NRA Exc. or better. Factory refinish (1950). Sound tight. Like new. Especially good case hardening colors.
  • 5.5" bbl.
  • .44-40 cal
  • SN 328996

An extremely good looking gun.

Thoughts, comments?

That's a curious comment, Jim. I assume you are implying that there are really good fakes out there that would be hard to distinguish from originals?

Two questions:

1. How would a professional/seasoned appraiser tell a real from a fake?
  2. If it WERE real, what would it be worth?

[I assume you are implying that there are really good fakes out there that would be hard to distinguish from originals?]

I wouldn't assume that.
I would presume that ANY refinished gun, factory work or not, is deemed to be "non-original", and not necessarily a fake.

[How would a professional/seasoned appraiser tell a real from a fake?]

Through their experience - which cost $$$, both to obtain (as an appraiser) AND to utilize (as a customer in need of an appraisal).

[If it WERE real, what would it be worth?]

It IS "real", just not original (finish), and therfore not worth the same as an identical specimen with original finish.
A factory letter, attesting to the refinish, does help out with value in that respect, though.
A true "fake" is worth even less, some much less.

Last edited:
I have a gun very similar to that, factory refinished to like-new appearance in the '50s. Is the serial number font the same on the trigger guard and frame? Mine had the frame replaced with a new one stamped with the original number. The numbers match, but the fonts are very different. I'm not savvy on serial number ranges, but that must be shortly before production ceased on 1st Generation guns; should it have FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER rollmarked on the left side of the barrel?

It looks "correct" to me, based on the pics. I thought the serial range put it toward the end of production, but it's actually from 1914; fewer than 30,000 guns were made over the next twenty-six years!

Back