Coloradans: Prepare For Rioting

magnumBD

Saw on the news where Colorado prisons will ban smoking effective Monday. Wonder how long those boys and girls will last?

------------------
"If you send your jack-booted, baby-burning bushwackers to confiscate
my guns, pack them a lunch...It will be a damned long day."
-Harry Thomas, NRA board member.

Our sheriff's office is connected to the county jail and we haven't allowed smoking in there for well over a year. They get used to it. The habitual offenders have gotten to wear they will get very cooperative if you jsut give them one last cigarette before you take them in to be processed.
You actually hear people referring to the fact that they know they will not be able to smoke as a reason for not breaking the law.
If that's what it takes, so be it.
Jail should be a bad thing.

So let me see, Raping other guys is OK, using drugs is OK, killing inmates is OK, BUT lets BAN cigarettes ! - sorta has the last Popes message "ring" to it. ;) :)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

well, we don't have any of that other stuff here in our littel county pokey. Maybe because we took away the Coke Machine too! ;)

I wonder if the ban extends to Fed pens in Colorado as well?

Rob, do you keep people in your lock-up for any long stretches (6 mos or better)?

The two questions lead to this- if the baddies are in and out fast enough then the no-smoke will not bother them too much. But cons who have a number of years behind them and years to go won't take this lightly.

When I went to rehab for alcohol I met a lot of crack/heroin/speed/grass/all-of-the-above people (most with significant jail time) who seemed to OBSESS on smoking.

I certainly agree that jail is not to be fun, but keeping "those" kind of people pacified would seem to be important. Without smoking, what other kind of "mischief" might they think up?

[This message has been edited by magnumBD (edited February 27, 1999).]

Eric @ GT,

just because it was a penal (stop snickering !) settlement, it doesn't mean that we're all a bunch of Ned Kellys ! ;)

Besides, 200+ years is a long time to be on "probation" ! :)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Lest we all forget, the Colonies (U.S.A.) was the dumping ground of England long before Australia.

What amuses me are some English who still insist that the US is their colony. I correct them in that we won the war. They acknowledge our victory but insist we're still their colony. I then tell them that I'm from California, and that California was a colony of Spain. The English told me no difference. A colony is a colony.

Australia -- settled by convicts, now ruled by those who should be convicts.

Unfortunately, same applies to the US to an extent.

I am quite depressed by the "democracy in action" in our countries. A large number of people pass a sickeningly unjust law (or several hundered of them), and remain alive. After all, can a Colorado response properly snuff out perps in Wash DC? Not really. We also know that, unless they are the worst of the pyromaniac kitten stompers and obvious about it, they are just following orders. Wasting local LEOs would mean that my own friends would die because of similar response in other states. Besides, even if we have some of the worst fedgoons killed, we'd then deal with more people just following orders.

And this is the problem, just lik ein fighting mafia: they know who we are and where we live. We do not know that, nor are most people prepared to attack those "just following orders" yet.

So, what's there to keep us from going where the White Rose folks ended up?

yeah, there are a few murderers in there, why I don't know, but they have been allowed to reamin in the county jail, one for almost 10 years now!

It is not uncommon for people remianing in our jail for almost a year.

I would think that the first couple of weeks would be the hardest, Or the few minutes after a gaurd walks in from outside and exhales a huge lung full of cigarette smoke.

Regarding the USA as a colony:

"If you really want to know the truth, follow the money trail" (a quote from an ancient soul).

In this case it means tracing the layers of the corporate ownership/investor umbrellas. The experience is kinda like peeling the layers of a very large onion, in that it'll bring tears to your eyes. If one does this, they will find out EXACTLY why the U.S. & the Brits seem so closely aligned on all global issues, save the aberration of the incident over Bovine Spongioform Encephalitis (mad cow disease).

Princeton University Library has a phenomenal aggregation of economic tomes, both current and historical which will help one properly define the term "Colony" as it applies to the Americas.

Mykl -

Don't leave us hanging, what does the inside of the onion look like? Who owns whom?

------------------
Freedom is not Free

Shot today (here in Colorado)with several law enforcement personnel, local to federal including INS, the subject never came up. It doesn't seem that they're too concerned....

Indiana Department of corrections facilities went smoke free (tobacco) in August, '97. The most public result was tobacco became contraband and thus more expensive on the inside just like other drugs. Early in '98 a Corrections Officer in one of the large prisons was arrested for smuggling in cigarettes and charging about $1 per cigarette on the prison market.

Most of the county jails in this state are also smoke free. They do survive.

Going on now is the debate about whether the state mental hospitals should be smoke free. The acute care hospital in Indianapolis is smoke free (smile when you say that) and has been for over a year. The other longer term mental hospitals have moved to making their buildings smoke free but still allow smoking in designated areas outdoors on the grounds. We did that last June. There are committees and study groups all over the place deciding when the hospitals will be totally smoke free. Subject to great debate since many of the patients have been in the hospitals for years. And, it will no doubt be a union issue. I have never seen so many nurses and nurses aide who smoke as I have since I started working here.

A note on the long term impact of the smoking bans in prisons. My unit in the hospital often admits prison dischargees who are committed to a mental hospital after serving their prison sentence. The first thing they want upon arrival is to get some cigarettes.

On a security ward a major issue every day is getting to smoke -- and getting outdoors to smoke. The potential for danger to staff is real. But, since we are a hospital, and all hospitals should be healthy, the regulators and powers that be have decided that all hospitals should eventually be smoke free (or the JCAHO accreditation can be withheld, and thus the earning abilty to the institution is threatened -- another example of the Golden Rule).

Enough rambling. Rant mode off.

Jim in IN

-----------------

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

Back