Collector value?

Genepix

The pristine Lebel Modele 1892 pistol I recently found had its barrel sawed off, presumably to eliminate the high front sight that possibly impaired a quick withdraw from its holster... Not that I plan on selling this pistol, but what is the feeling regarding original condition versus replacing the barrel with a complete one? Thanks.
Gene

Honestly, while the Lebel 1892 is not found on the shelves of every gun shop, they still aren't that scarce, and, with a cut barrel, your gun has very little value insofar as "originality" is concerned.

The sad part is that the barrels (if I recall) were serial numbered to the gun, and replacing the barrel will obviously give you a mismatched gun, but I would tend to think it would increase the value significantly over the cut barrel.

The only thing that would make a difference would be if you had some sort of provenance as to why the barrel was cut, and it would have to be a darn good story.

Unless it's in exceptionally good condition relative to most Model 1892s I've seen, it's value wouldn't be much over three bills even with the original barrel intact.

And how often do you find Lebel Mle.1892 barrels for sale, anyway? ;)

I'd probably file that project in the "more effort than it's worth" drawer. :(

Lebel 1892

Ironically, I located a compete 1892 barrel, and upon meeting with my local gunsmith today, was presented with a "new" 1944 Russian Nagant Model 1895 pistol that I subsequently purchased for less than the restoration cost of the Lebel.... Now I am loving the research into both.....

Back