Cold weather revolver to keep in truck?

Indy_SIG

I'd like to keep a handgun in my truck through the winter, but have been advised not to leave an automatic in the cold that long. I don't have a background in revolvers, so......

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good, reliable wheel gun that would be appropriate for leaving outside in a vehicle in temps that average about 20 f. daytime and around zero f. overnight.

Need something that will go bang when I pull the trigger, and something that won't rust away easily.

Well, quite frankly, I think if someone is saying don't leave a semi-auto in a car because the lubrication might seize up, that will happen with a revolver, too.

No gun is immune to it if the oil/grease isn't rated for cold weather.

Simply look around for a grease that avoids thickening in temperatures LOWER than what you normally encounter.

Then, lube your gun normally with your chosen grease, and test it.

How to test it?

Wrap it in a couple of plastic bags, bung it into the freezer for a couple of hours, get out the ice chest, and make a high speed trip to the range.

If your gun functions after that treatment, you've got nothing to worry about.

Any handgun left unattended in a vechile is a "NO-NO"-

I know of too many instances where a perp
broke into the vechile, found the weapon,
and used it on it's owner. Please refrain
from such a practice!!!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I'm with Ala Dan. I strongly recommend against leaving a gun in your truck. If you must, then get something like a GunVault and bolt it down in the truck.

I'd recommend instead that the gun be on your hip.

Regarding semi-auto versus revolver, where are you and how cold does it get? The general rule for cold weather is that you either use a dry lubricant (like Sentry Solutions) or no lubricant at all.

M1911

Polymer framed guns like Glocks are particularly good for extreme cold applications. The polymer will not freeze, expand or contract, nor will it shatter. Polymer on bare skin will not freeze to your skin like bare metal will either. This is one of the reasons Austria chose it (with memories of WWII and Russian Front experiences).

That aside, I agree with the above about leaving a gun unattended in a vehicle.

:cool: I agree about leaving the gun unattened- gun safe. my experiences with cold weather and handguns is at 20 below my S&W model 27 froze my Govt. model still shot. Some friends and I went shooting in extreme cold to see what worked and what did not.

To answer the question about (what I believe is another way to word it is) , 'what revolver can take the temperatures you mention and still function?'
Quite frankly Indy, I've never heard of a revolver that failed to operate because of the frigid cold. However, ice caused by frigid rain, snow, or some other means have frozen the lock work or revolving cylinder. I believe I would of heard of a story by now if the revolver had failed just because of cold conditions. Remember the revolver has a long history, even the Royal Mounted Police in Cananda had used it at one time. Any good quality revolver would meet the temperature demands you place on it.
To clarify a statement on leaving it in a vehicle, I would be hesitant, unless the situtation placed my property or life in immediate danger. Say for an example, maybe a riot, or possable dangerous animal being near by. (Even the two legged kind.) If the weapon should fall into the criminal element's possesion, it could cause a very sad situation. We all need to be responsible for our weapons.:)

If it is only goin down to 0°f, not much to worry about re gun function.

Like others, I don't like the idea of guns left in vehicle.

My scramble gear is only bout 30seconds away from vehicles but secure.

Sam

Leaving it in the rig is not ideal, but you may have your reasons. If it's not intended for any other use than a truck gun or carry about, some ideas. Might consider the older military surplus, such as the .38 Enfield, 7.62 Nagant etc. Not much finish to wreck, work well in cold,most varients are farely cheap. Depends on why you need it in the truck. But these are reliable enough.

Indy_ SIG
Something that will go bang when you pull the trigger........
Something which won't rust easily.........
A new model Ruger-stainless- single action-357
Don Mallard

How will you store it in the truck? Will it be in a decent holster slung from the back of a benchseat or under the seat? Or will it be rattling around with the other junk? In the latter case follow faraway's advice and get a beater (finish wise) but hopefully stainless.

I was of an inclination to suggest a short rifle such as an AK-47 or variant but
1) loaded rifles in most or all states are verboten in vehicles (for safety)
2) loaded handguns are okay in decent states

Since it is a truck gun, go for the longest barrel you can find because then it is still a "handgun". Now if somebody made a 12" Stainless Double Action .357

Just a quick note in here,

The ONLY lubricant that passed the RCMP tests for cold weather use and for general duty use is the Mil-Comm line of TW25B grease......

I have talked to an RCMP armorer about it and he says all critical areas have a lite smear of grease and the barrel gets wiped down with the MC-2500 Oil.

I agree that leaving a pistol in a vehicle has its risks. Never the less, I have a designated 'truck-gun'. I use a snub nosed S&W 66. I use MPRO-7 lube and have tested the pistol after overnite exposure in 15 degree weather. It worked fine.

Its not a bad idea to plant some 'bait' in the cab. If a thug breaks into my truck, just out of site he will find a very nice looking portable CD player (burned up long ago) before he finds my pistol. I figure he will take the broken CD player and run. In the glove box I have a old velcro wallet (from the 80's) filled with useless items and about 20 bucks. It would take him some time to locate the pistol, although I can get to it quickly.

Officer: "Sir, what did your wallet look like"?

Me: Its velcro and has crocket and tubbs on the front. LOL

;)

Back