Cold Steel OSS

striderteen

I think I'm in love, but the heart must be moderated by the mind. I know it's a relatively new model, but does anyone here have any experience with Cold Steel's OSS subhilt knife?

I really, really have my heart set on one of those, backed up by a Cold Steel 7.1 Kobun tanto-style boot knife.

Cold Steel Knives

I own, carry, and use several models...

Voyager Tanto, Vacquero, Oyabun.... all are superb quality for the price paid. I have nothing but priase for Lynn and his products. Although his catalogs are a bit overwrought with safari-esque language and make me feel like I am reading a J. Peterman catalog or an Abercrombie & Kent brochure.

That being said, he also makes damn fine less than lethal weapons. I bought a sjambok and a lahti from him that are the cream of the crop in my mind. You could a hell of a lot worse than Cold Steel.

SSubhilt designs are sexy. They also impose very definite limitations on the ways in which the knife may be held and manipulated. A properly designed haft should give you adequate purchase on the handle w/o subhilts. Also, if you want to lock a knife into your hand, a wrist lanyard will do so quite admirably without the drawbacks associated with gimmicks like subhilts.

I've played around with the Big Bear Classic a bit. Which is basically the expensive version of the OSS. Its very balanced and feels great in the hands. So you would like it since you fence. BUT I shy away from anything made of stainless steel. Its too brittle for my tastes. If you want a nice fighter you could maybe pick up one of their Carbon V blades. I have a feeling that the larger Peacekeeper would suit your needs

Dan

Back