cold bore shot

mrm

Inactive
I could really use some of your expertise on this cold bore issue. Background - Remington 700 PSS .308, shooting factory only as I don't reload, Federal Gold Match168g bthp, see pics for details. Do I have a barrel problem, bedding problem, or shooter problem?

Attachments

• 1022061123_a.JPG
    1022061123_a.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 449
  • 1022061142_a.JPG
    1022061142_a.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 340
  • 1022061233_a.JPG
    1022061233_a.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Could be any of them. After the first shot does all the rest go where you aim? If so it could be the bore surface is rough and needs copper from the bullet to smooth out.
If it does it whenever the barrel is cold I would say it may possibly be a bedding problem.

Buddy of mine was just telling me of a similar problem he had with a rifle - would shoot 3-4" off on the first shot, things settled in after shooting a couple of shots.

Being the tightwad that he's known to be, and a decent firearms guy to boot, he sent it back to the factory with the targets he shot. Got the rifle back about two weeks later, with only the original stock making the trip back - everything else was replaced. Shoots great now, according to him.

If it's new, contact Remington and talk to Customer Service about it....

I had a simaliar problem once with my winchester first 4 or 5 shots were all over the place then would gruop nicely. A fellow shooter at the club gave me the advice of running a dry patch down my barrel for the first firing. Apperntly I had exsesive oil in the barrel that took some shooting to clear it out. I also noticed that one of your pictures said "dirty barrel" I was also taught to clean my barrel after every 5 shots and my groups sizes when from 1.5+ to 1" at 100 yards Hope this helps

Looks like your rifle just needs a fouling shot or two before it settles in. If everything after the first few shots look good there's nothing wrong. You didn't say what distance (or maybe I missed it) you were shooting at.

what kind of scope and rings are you using? You can't expect a good group if you're scope isn't powerful or your rings suck.

Also, have you had a trigger job? Are you shooting off sandbags, bipod, prone? There are so many things that could be going wrong. More info needed.

Cold bore.

For what it's worth...Cold bore shots have more to do with elevation, not windage. But that's me.

How did you 'call' those shots and what distance were you at?

Back