Cogswell & Harrison Brass Handgun

ErinM

Inactive
I have a C&H brass (at least I think it's brass - see picture, assuming I uploaded them properly) handgun that appears to be a flare pistol. It has a spent shell casing in the chamber that looks like a large shotgun shell. I know nothing about the gun nor how old it is. Any advice on the gun? Date of manufacture? Value? It has a serial number of 72544, crudely imprinted on the gun, which makes me think it was mass produced at some time. Thanks for any info (or for even considering my post).

Attachments

• 100_1176.jpg
    100_1176.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_1177.jpg
    100_1177.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 43
I am no expert on flare pistols, but I can tell you that the gun was used by the British military because of the broad arrow property mark and was made in 1917. It probably served in WWI when flare guns were often used for signalling and communications.

Before the days of radio, it was common to use flares projected into the sky from pistols like that to convey messages. Different color flares had different meanings. For example, a white flare could order the start of an artillery bombardment; a green and white could mean to fire higher; a red and white to fire lower, and so forth.

Someone else can probably tell you the Mark (model) number of that pistol and the exact shells it used.

Jim

Back