• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Code to specify image size?

Barnacle Brad

I was looking for a way to scale or resize an image inserted into a post. I wanted to use a facebook picture (my own) but the image size exceeds the bounds of the normal post area. I found bbcode which would change the image size, but apparently it must be enabled at the administrative level.

The code looks like this:
[resize=100][img]http:www.myphoto/myimage.jpg[/img][/resize]

Get the specifics here: Resize Images

Would allowing code like this be valuable to TFL? I believe it would.

Thanks for your consideration.

Yes, that would be a useful feature. However, it doesn't have to be enabled (implying we have it disabled), it has to be added to the existing code. Perhaps tyme, our resident guru, can see if this is doable.

My apologies. I did not mean to imply TFL was preventing members from using forum features. I could have used a words like "implement" or "add code" if I was more familiar with the jargon.

I appreciate your consideration. Thank you.

Perhaps the code could be added to the existing "insert image" code already available? If my thinking is correct it would essentially standardize image sizes - at least until the poster edits the size value...

Although I consider it less than ideal (supporting height and width params for img tags would be ideal), I've added that resize bbcode.

Orbital%20Sciences%20Antares%20Launch

I haven't added an editor icon for point and click usage, though.

Ultimately this and many other limitations of stock vb3 may be solved by a migration to phpbb, which looks like the best long-term option, but any upgrade, to vb4 or 5, or phpbb, or mybb, or something else, will include a major design change that will burden existing members with a learning curve.

Cool! Thanks, tyme.

The embedded code looks like this:
[resize=nnn][img]http://yourimageURL[/img][/resize]

resize=100

resize=200

resize=400

Start spamming every image thread with a PSA detailing how to use [resize] ?

An announcement or sticky thread would be the obvious answer, except those are never read... :(

Awesome possum!

Word of mouth will work to a degree as far as educating users on the new code. I will do my part.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Back