Cocked and Locked

kikilee

Recently purchased a Kimber ULTRA CDP for concealed carry.
My question is: with the ambi safety, how safe is cocked and locked? I have had some say the ambi safety could get bumpded and release. Has anyone had this problem?

I carry a Kimber Gold Match with ambi safeties in an IWB holster every day and have yet to have the safety get flicked off accidentally.

And because of the design, even if the frame safety were to be accidentally clicked off, the gun still can't be fired unless you are also squeezing the grip safety...

If the safety is working properly, it'll take a degree of pressure to engage/disengage. Add in the grip safety and you're completely safe with the 1911 in condition I. In addition, follow the basic firearm safety rules and you'll avoid an AD. In other words, KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER at all times unless you're ready to fire. Have fun with the Kimber and be sure to give a range report.

Son

There is always the option of having a smith make the safety a little more positive if you think that it engages/disengages too easily.

kikilee:

I recommend that for a week or so, you carry the gun chamber empty, but cocked and locked around the house. At the end of that week, I think you'll find that the safety was never wiped off, so you'll have more confidence in carrying chamber full, cocked and locked.

M1911

I carry the Hi-Power and haven't had any trouble with the ambi safety wiping. One bonus to an ambi safety is that you can check whether or not the safety has wiped off with a quick touch when carrying the gun.

If you feel the safety in the up position, safety is still on.

I had a problem with the ambi on my P14 Limited going off-safe while carried in my Galco holster. I traced it to the width of the safety. The pads were extended too much for my method of carry. I went to a narrower-pad safety and had no further problems.

Back