cobra

scoops

i want a colt cobra in 4 inch barrel.my pal has both cobras and pythons.as far as im concerned the cobra shoots as nice as the python.and at 2/3 the cost it will be my next wheel gun.

Ihave owned a king cobra 4" and it was very accurate,and reliable,the action will never have the capability to be as smooth or stack free as a python or smith revolver,

Scoops asked about a Colt Cobra. The two followups refer to the King Cobra. These are very different revolvers. The Cobra is essentially a lightweight Detective Special; a D-frame, alloy revolver, most typically found with a 2-inch barrel (though 3" and IIRC 4" guns are also out there). The King Cobra was Colt's answer to the S&W 686 and the Ruger GP-100, being a medium-large frame .357 Magnum.

So scoops, which is it?

Cobras are nice little guns. I got one about three years ago (it was made in 1955) and shows a lot of wear but still shoots great.

I've thought about getting it reblued. I know this doesn't do anything for the value of my gun. But that doesn't really matter to me.

Will this have any adverse affects on the markings on the gun like fade the colt logo or the already faded Cobra markings on the barrel?

Gator

It depends on how good the person is doing the polishing. When a gun is re-blued, it gets re-polished to remove fine scratches and dings. If the polisher isn't careful, all of the markings could get partially or totally removed, the screw holes dished, straight edges can get wavy etc. - all marks of a bad polish job.
"Restoration" shops like Doug Turnbulls have engravers who can re-cut the markings on a gun so skillfully it takes an expert and a microscope to tell that it isn't an original roll-marking/stamping.

Back