Cobra .32 Caliber Barrel?

ZVP

I just read that the .32 Cobra Derringer barrel has been approved for sale in Ca!
I already own a .38 Cobra and love it! Much fun to shoot and is actually pratical to defend yourself with in a Pinch.
I have always wondered about that .32&R Mag barrel because of all the many loads it'll fire! Wondered about what it'd shoot like?
Frankly, a factory 158 gr .38 Special Kicks!
I have some light loads a friend loaded for me and they are a blast!
Just like CB Caps through a ,22 drringer.
Does anyone have experiennce with this one?
ZVP

I shoot 32's a lot. 32 H&R is said to be as effective as 38 special, but it has much less recoil. My 11-year-old daughter shoots them out of small revolvers with no problem. If a weapon shoots 32 magnum, it will also shoot 32 S&W longs or shorts with complete safety. These are very mild rounds and fun for plinking. It is also safe to shoot 32acp (a semiautomatic round) out of a 32 magnum handgun. Some of them will fire 32acp and some won't - my FiL (an engineer) believes that it has to due with the length of the firing pin.

Tball, I think you are a bit off base suggesting the use of .32 acp ammo in a .32 S&W revolver as the two cartridges are dis similiar, the acp has a bullet diameter of .3125---.315 for S&W, semi rim vs full rim (.358 vs .375) and OAL .984 vs 1.280 which means headspace is not compatable. The acp runs approx. 20,000 lbs pressure vs 15,000 in S&W and being such low pressure damage to your weapon probably has not occurred. Use only the ammunition the weapon is designed to shoot for a better margin of safety.

The OP had a 32mag, not a 32s&w. A 32 mag will easily handle the 32acp pressure, especially with the undersized bullet. If your chamber dimensions allow, it will work. I once had a 32 range day, but forgot the ammo can with the 32 revolver ammo. I shot a couple of cylinders of acp out of my 327 because I could. Accuracy kinda sucked, but it was nice knowing if I found one of James Bond's dropped magazines I could stay in the fight.

What John said:

I have a sweet S&W 32long revolver from around 1915. I would never attempt to shoot 32acp out of it because that is a higher pressure round than the weapon was designed for.

I also have three 32 H&R magnum revolvers and one 327 magnum revolver. Two happen to shoot 32acp just fine and two don't. I don't worry about shooting 32acp out of them because they were designed for rounds that generate higher pressures. I haven't noticed much dropoff in accuracy shooting 32acp, but they are both snubbies with small sights, so a slight difference would be hard to notice.

Back