Coating for stainless steel firearms

bricz75

Is there a coating good for stainless steel firearms? I don't think Duracoat holds well and I have experience with Cerakote not holding/sticking well.

I don't know of a reason why the nickel content of steel would effect paint adhesion. I suspect any problems are due to insufficient degreasing or failure to bead blast.

totalda is correct. There is nothing about stainless that would prevent paint from sticking to it.
Stainless can also be nitride coated.

Two years ago i had two Ruger Super Blackhawks Cerakoted . In that time both have been shot and handled a bunch one has seen 16,000 cast bullets and one a little less .
One Ruger was coated first by a person with very good revues it did not holdup very well and has been recoated . The second Ruger was coated by a true gun smith the difference was a much better overall job it still looks as new . Both Rugers are stainless both older Rugers and the bottom line is find a coater that knows what he is doing .

As long as they have been properly degreased and bead-blasted, there's no reason why any aftermarket coating shouldn't adhere to Stainless Steel.

The S&W M&P line all say "stainless" on the slide. And they're all nitrided, and something else too which gives it the black color.

Black T

I think W. Birdsong is still in business with his "Black T" or "Green T" coatings for metals. Not cheap, but serious.

The manufacturers do it all the time. Many, such as Dan Wesson and Ed Brown, make the majority of their guns in stainless and the "black" versions are their stainless guns with a coating.

One set of coating instructions I read recently (forgot whose) required abrasive grit blasting (named the grit sizes) and said bead blasting leaves the surface too smooth for good adhesion. So if they are bead blasting, that may be mistake #1. A second easy error is not to have adequately dried air running through the blaster, leaving some compressor oil on the steel that can take some care to remove.

Back