CNN and Fox report charter jet flight from Alaska, fueling McCain VP speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

IZinterrogator

From Fox News:
DENVER — Speculation about who John McCain would name as his running mate focused on Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin after reports circulated early Friday that two short-listers — Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty — were out out of the running.

Adding fuel to the Palin possibility was a report that a charter aircraft from Anchorage had arrived in Dayton, Ohio, where McCain has scheduled a noon ET rally to announce his choice.

Palin is considered a rising star in the Republican Party. She is the state’s first female governor, the mother of five — and at 44 is its youngest chief executive.

FOX News confirmed Thursday that McCain had made his selection. McCain was scheduled to appear with his choice at a noon rally in Dayton, Ohio on Friday.

Sources told FOX News that Romney will not be McCain’s choice, even though Romney is scheduled to appear at the Dayton rally.

And Pawlenty told a Minneapolis radio station that he was not going to be in Dayton for the McCain announcement.

“I’m going to be at the [Minnesota] state fair,” Pawlenty said on WCCO.

“I will not be in Dayton, Ohio, so I think that’s a fair assumption,” when asked if this was an indication that he would not be McCain’s running mate.

“It was an honor to be considered,” he added.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who like Romney was a former primary season rival to McCain, sent an e-mail to supporters on Thursday evening saying he will not be at the rally.

Born in Idaho, Palin moved to Alaska when she was three months old with her parents.

She grew up in Wasilla, just outside of Anchorage, and played on the Wasilla state championship girls basketball team. She was crowned Miss Wasilla in 1984, and was a runnerup in the Miss Alaska pageant.

She studied journalism and political science at the University of Idaho and graduated in 1987. After graduation, she eloped with her high school boyfriend in 1988 to save money on an expensive wedding. She helped out in her husband’s family commercial fishing business and appeared occasionally as a television sportscaster.

Palin won a seat on the Wasilla City Council in 1992 as a new face, new voice and by opposing tax increases. Four years later she was elected mayor at 32 by knocking off a three-term incumbent. At the end of her second term, party leaders encouraged her to enter the 2002 race for the Republican nomination for lieutenant governor. Against veteran legislators with far more experience, Palin finished second by fewer than 2,000 votes, making a name for herself in statewide politics. She was elected Alaskas youngest and first woman governor in 2006.
FOX News’ Carl Cameron and the Almanac of American Politics contributed to this report.
Finally, it looks like McCain may have done something that can make me vote for him without throwing up in my mouth a little while casting my ballot.

Talk about a tactical maneuver! SMARTEST choice IMO he could make for VP. I hope it comes to factual fruition...
Brent

+1 to WildAlaska. I looked into her after he touted her months ago and have been speaking up about her ever since.

Over beers with my CEO two nights ago I said we should seriously consider that McCain might pick Palin. He told me "No Way, it will be Romney or someone similar." I can't wait to see him when he returns to the office on Tuesday.

Here is a good photo of her. She is the brunette with glasses in the center.

SarahPalinVikings.jpg

McCain campaign official has officially confirmed that Palin will be the VP candidate...
In my optimistic opinion that is basically the stake in the chest of the dem machine...
I bet Obama is cringing thinkin "And I had to go and pick an old fart..."
Brent

Musketeer...which one of the horde is you?

I wish! No, I am stuck in NY... Last weekend my wife, daughter (6), son (2) and I all showed up at our company picnic with plastic viking helms on. The theme was "funny hats." The girls had the ones with the blonde braids built into them. Mine had fur around the base of the horns while the little guy had the smallest kid's one I could find with two short horns on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back