CMP "Special Request" Tips?

JT

Inactive
Heya Guys,

After reading up on the M1's, posting some questions here and elsewhere, and really learning quite a lot - you folks have pushed me over the edge and it is now a certainty that I will be getting two M1 Garands from CMP. We will be getting one for my father and one for myself just as soon as the membership card for the CRPA arrives...

I do have a querry though.

Many have noted that they have made special requests of the CMP for this or that and have
actually gotten something close to their request. However on the CMP forms and their site it seems to say in no uncertain terms that they do not entertain special requests.

My question is simply:

What are you guys saying to get the kind folks at CMP to go the extra mile for you?

Our hopes for these rifles are pretty simple really. We would both like to get a rifle that is a decent solid shooter. I am not expecting MOA accuracy, but something that is fun and reasonably accurate is the goal.

Neither of us care which manufacturer the rifles were made by. We are not really looking for valuable collectors pieces, just something to be proud of and use.

I personally very much would like a WWII vintage weapon, (okay so theres a little romanticism in that era for me), but dad couldnt care less when his was made. Of course we both would like to get rifles with a fair amount of matched parts, but that's secondary to the date and reliability/condition.

So how are you guys that are getting special requests through doing it? I have heard stories of some pretty choice examples being obtained. Any specific person we should direct our requests to? What wording works? and failing that: Who do I sent the bribe money to? *joke* :-)

Thanks for any insight! JT

PS: Feel free to email if you don't want to answer in the forum. tenarius@memorableplaces.com

Back