CMP Service Rifle Handguard Question

Shooter2675

Hello,

I am planning another AR-15 upper build, and when I was reading the rule book, I was left with a question about the AR-15 regulations. It says a "quad rail or similar handguard" may be used, but I am not exactly sure what the "similar handguard" is. I know that I could use a standard A2 stock or a quad rail stock, but the main question is, can I use a round tube handguard like this http://www.firetacsports.com/Handguard-quad-rail-p/hg-round12ec.htm.

Thank you,

John

That would be a question for the CMP. The new rules leave a lot of open opinions that need qualification. Perhaps the CMP forum can help.

AR

The question to ask yourself is this "Is this type of hand guard found on any military issue AR?" If the answer is no, it is most probably not legal.

It means tacticool railage is permitted.

It's a deservedly new day on the vast and windy ranges of Camp Perry.

Quad rails or similar hand guards may be used.
Now the question becomes what is their definition of similar?
The handguard in question is not a quad style but it is similar to the standard M16 handguards. I would think the OP's choice is acceptable but would hate to have a referee at an event disqualify it.

I think I will just go with a RRA A2 handguard with the free float sleeve. There's not way that could be called into question and I don't really want a quad rail.

That would be your choice. With the front irons you could attach the carry handle rear sights ,if you wanted to, for those 'traditional' days at the range. They do show when looking through the scope so it's up to you.

Front sight post will distort the image especially at lower magnification but doesn't seem to effect accuracy. Can range from annoying to barely noticeable.

Back