CMP M1 Good Deal?

Puddle Pirate

I was just looking at the Civilian Marksmanship Programs web site (docmp.org I believe), and they are offering surplus GI M-1's for $400, and I was wondering if that is a good deal or not. Thanks

Eric

I must admit, I was nervous when I got mine...I was worried it would be some cosmoline soaked junk rifle...boy, was I wrong! Sure, it was a used rifle, but is was in GREAT shape. Serial number traced manufacture back to Dec 1944. A real piece of history. Well worth doing.

EOD Guy, what do you do with FOUR of these things? Sure, they are neat, but...why get so many? Spare parts?

They are the best deal going. CMP provides lots of support, and they are good people. As for EOD Guy, I say you got a great start with four. Between my father and I, we have 11 of these in various conditions, and he's waiting for another via Fed-ex right now. Let's see, you need one stock for collecting. One GI but slightly massaged for the Garand match. One full match with everything. One set up like an M1D sniper rifle. One with the Grenade launcher bracket. Maybe a M1C, really rare sniper model. Oh yeah and some spares. Besides it's one heck of a good investment. Semper Fi....Ken

My father and I each bought a "Service Grade" M1 just a couple of months ago. I took them down to the local M1 guru at the Orange Armory, where he headspaced, timed, checked throat erosion, and generally went through them. Each was in the condition promised and were perfectly safe to shoot.

Forseti,

I collect them. I got four from CMP so I could have one from each manufacturer. I actually have a total of seven, including one in .308 and an M1D sniper version.

I had gotten DCM guns and had resolved to let the CMP M1s to the younger folks, but couldn't resist the price so I broke down and got one. Plain service grade, perfectly shootable. WWII Springfield, 4-47 barrel, nearly new.

Jim

Back