CMP, GCA, 03-FFL and bad timing...

lockedcj7

I sent in my paperwork for the type 03 FFL several weeks ago on the very slim chance that it might help me when the CMP starts selling the 1911s.

I also renewed my long-lapsed membership with the GCA for the same reason and also so that I could order some 1911 magazines from the CMP. They sent my membership card, which I promptly misplaced.

Meanwhile, the CMP announced on Thursday that they have a limited number of carbines and will accept orders beginning Monday. I missed out last time so I sent my order on Friday with guaranteed Monday delivery.

Today, I received my -03 license in the mail. I also checked the CMP e-store and they still show my club affiliation as "expired".

Now here are the questions: Does the CMP need a copy of my FFL for the carbine since it is a C&R? How often does the GCA send membership info to the CMP and how long does it take the CMP to update? I've e-mailed both and gotten no response. I'll call on Monday but I have little hope of getting through.

Now here are the questions: Does the CMP need a copy of my FFL for the carbine since it is a C&R? How often does the GCA send membership info to the CMP and how long does it take the CMP to update? I've e-mailed both and gotten no response. I'll call on Monday but I have little hope of getting through.

CMP has to have a copy of your C&R license or a copy of your dealers FFL license in order to ship the gun to you. You have to include a copy of one or the other of these licenses with your order. In some states (CT, NJ, NY and WA), you have to ship to an FFL dealer regardless of whether you have a C&R or not. If you have ordered from the CMP before, and they already have a copy of your current C&R license, then you might be OK not sending a copy. To be on the safe side I always send a newly signed copy of my C&R with each order, along with all the other required documents.

I don't know exactly how long it takes for the GCA to send information to the CMP (my guess would be every couple of weeks, but this is just a guess). I'd say that the CMP updates your status as soon as they get the info from the GCA. If you renewed online, you could send in a copy of your emailed receipt as proof of your renewal.

I'd get a copy of your C&R license in the mail ASAP to them with a note associating it with your order. It might be possible to email a copy of your license to them, but I don't know.

AFAIK, for residents of most states, CMP ships rifles directly to the buyer. At present, there are no rules for handguns since they don't now sell them. Here is what CMP says:

"If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a certificate, license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your certificate, license, permit, or card with the application for purchase. Rifle shipments to WA, NY and NJ must be made to a state licensed dealer. You must provide a copy of the dealer’s license with your order form. Rifle shipments to CA must be made to a State licensed dealer or may be made to individual homes, providing that a CA Certificate of Eligibility and a Curio and Relic License are provided. Rifle shipments to CT must be made to licensed or dealer or may be shipped directly to the customer if a C&R license is provided.

As a result of CT Bill 1160 and Bill 13-220 , which revised CT Bill 1160, all CT customers purchasing rifles to be delivered in CT must have the rifle shipped to a CT licensed dealer or must provide us with a copy of their current Type 3 (C&R) FFL license. We can ship directly to a customer's home if they possess a C&R license.

WA, NY, NJ and CT customers who have already mailed their rifle orders to CMP should provide custserve@thecmp.org with dealer information or order cancellation instructions. Information can also be faxed to 256-835-3527 or mailed to CMP Customer Service, (Attn: FFL Order), 1401 Commerce Blvd., Anniston, AL 36207."

Jim

Resolved.

Found my GCA membership card this morning and faxed it to them along with my FFL. They already have the e-store updated.

Found my GCA membership card this morning and faxed it to them along with my FFL. They already have the e-store updated.

Just curious...........where do they show your club status on the E-store? I'm not seeing anything that shows club status.

When I logged in and clicked "accept", it sent me to a page that said that my affiliated club membership was expired and that I would not be able to order anything.

I got an email from customer service that said that my info had been updated. When I logged in to check it, I didn't get the pop up anymore. Now I just have to pray that my carbine order is in the top of the pile. Word has it they got 23 tubs of mail + UPS + FedEx = sold out.

Question: If you have an 03FFL, do you still need to have the other club memberships to order from them?

I haven't paid much attention to the CMP market, So I am not sure about your statement indicating they might be selling 1911s. Is that a fact that has been released or just wishful on your part. In todays climate it seems unlikely.

When I logged in and clicked "accept", it sent me to a page that said that my affiliated club membership was expired and that I would not be able to order anything.

OK, that explains it. Probably only pops up if you club membership has expired.

Question: If you have an 03FFL, do you still need to have the other club memberships to order from them?

Here is the link to the CMP order form: http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/1orderform.pdf

If you scroll to pages 5 and 6 it covers everything you need to submit an order. An 03FFL satisfies the requirement for "Marksmanship or other Firearms related activity", and makes it possible for the CMP to ship the rifle directly to your door. You still have to be affiliated with a club. I recommend the Garand Collectors Association, which is $25 a year, and includes a magazine. There are other clubs that are only $14 or $15 per year. If you are active military or law enforcement, that also qualifies as your "club affiliation".

Once you get all the paperwork it is pretty easy to just make copies if you make another order in the future.

Last edited:
I haven't paid much attention to the CMP market, So I am not sure about your statement indicating they might be selling 1911s. Is that a fact that has been released or just wishful on your part. In todays climate it seems unlikely.

Believe it or not Obama approved legislation that will allow the CMP to sell 10000 1911 handguns on a trial basis. If everything goes well, they will probably sell more. This article has the actual legislation: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...11s-to-the-public-a-thanksgiving-day-miracle/

Speculation says that 1911 sales will begin later this year, but the CMP has not said anything official yet. Speculation also says that a rack grade 1911 will cost $1000 (rack grade is the lowest quality grade of firearms at the CMP sells), so many of us are a little concerned about the pricing at this point. We will just have to wait and see. Typically CMP's pricing is well below what you find similar firearms from private sales and dealers.

However, if you are interested in getting a firearm from the CMP it is not a bad idea to get all your paperwork in order. They tend to announce their sales just days ahead of time, like they did with the Carbine sales, so only guys that have already ordered before, or that have all their ducks in line have a chance of getting an order in on time before they sell out.

The M1 Carbines sold out on the first day, and we will have to wait and see if all the guys that got an order in on time will still get a firearm.

Last edited:
Back