CMP Garand

?

Congrats. on the new toy. Now the question I placed my first order with CMP in early Nov. (M-1) how long did it take for delivery?

You have better self control than I do. If there was a new M1 sitting in a box at my house I would NOT be at work.

I think you will be happy with your CMP garand.. All of these are CMP except for the IHC. I believe by the tag, that the IHC was also purchased from the CMP years ago, but I bought it from an individual.

Here is my CMP collection:
garands.JPG

Left to right: IHC Garand, Smith Corona 1903a3, HRA Special, Winchester, HRA Service Grade, Springfield Field Grade

I need to take a better photo of the guns, the HRA special is extremely nice. Congrats on your new purchase! You won't find a finer place to do business than the CMP.

John, I forgot to mention. I believe the offical rule is that you do not need to log the rifle in your C&R book. However, I use my C&R as one of the qualifications for purchase from the CMP, so I log the rifles in my book just to be safe. I would much rather be told "that doesn't need to be logged" than to be asked why I did not log something.

is there a commercial 30.06 load readily available that is safe to shoot through a garand? Dicks or Walmart would carry?
Do I just need to worry about using sub 180 grain bullets?

patience

I do have a reason for asking .I will not be available to sign for it for 3 to 4 weeks after Xmas. Vacation time in Fl. Vacation came up after I placed the order.
(OK may be a little impatient.)

As far as I know NO commercial ammo is safe for a garand unless you purchase an adjustable gas plug. The surplus avaialble from the CMP comes out to about 27 cents per round and it shoots great. Even if it were safe, I don't think you could find commercial for that price anyway. Good luck with your gun!

Here's a question: What about C+R's I owned prior to the license? What if I want to dispose of a pre license gun with the C+R? Should I keep a separate book with them listed as "From Personal Colletion"?

Are you guys saying that commercial ammo is not saf for the garand due to the pressure. What about handloads. I mainly shoot the cmp ammo but have shot my reloads I use for my remington bolt. Should I not shoot these?

ro2,

A 150 - 155 grain bullet with 49 grains of IMR 4895 and a CCI 34 primer is a near duplicate of military ammo for the Garand. I use Lake City brass and get about 3 - 4 loadings before it is too beat up. OAL is 3.34 inches and velocity from a Garand is around 2700 fps.

ammo

The easiest answer is only shoot cmp ammo in a cmp gun.
However, you can find special ammo from hornady that is folmulated just for the garand gas system and you can reload with "Garand" specific recipes.
These recipes must duplicate bullet rate, velocity and most importantly burn rate. If not one shell can bend an operating rod.

Best thing is just shoot cmp surplus ammo until they run out.
Sorry that was meant to say "bullet weight" not "bullet rate".

Last edited:
Back