CMP Garand Special

Punisher_1

I received my CMP 30-06 Garand (Special) today and now I know how a GI felt in the 40s when he was handed a brand new Garand. Fit and finish are extremely nice and to top it off it has a Springfield receiver in the 24,000 series (1939). I wish it could talk and tell me where it's been. I have a 42 and 43 but I wanted a better shooter without having to re-barrel one of those. Now, Thursday off to the range.

GarandandA4.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are killing me..... I can't even complain yet since I only sent my paperwork in on 2/20, they have now had it a month and haven't heard anything. I know CMP is swamped but the wait for my Service Grade HRA is making me nuts. Oh by the way, you forgot to post pictures of your new rifle.

Stu

Got mine last week..

I ordered 1/14 and got mine about a week or 2 ago, so that's a 2 mo wait. I requested a Springfield made in the WW2 period. Its a Springfield, but don't know how to read the SN. Oddly, it has a rack number on the r eceiver made by a Dymo labeler. I think those first existed in the 60's or 70's, so unless CMP does that, I presume its last unit was the Guard or Reserve.It also has a threaded ding in the stock. I think maybe that came from hanging it on a fuel tank bolt in an APC. That was common practice with our M16's.

I ordered it during the third week of January. I shot it yesterday and it functioned flawlessly. Got her all cleaned up, greased and she's keeping the other two company in the safe. Now I gotta get those prescription shooting glasses made so the sight picture is perfect. Did I tell you I just got my Gibbs M1903a4 from AIM? Oh, but that's another post I'll have to make.

Ain't it a thrill? I got mine a couple years ago and it was/is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! I know some will say that because it's been re-arseneled" and the stock has a CMP stamp on it that it's "really not that collectible". Well, maybe not (by comparison to some dates and manufacturers) ... but it is so beautiful and shoots like a dream. I'm not good enough a shot anymore to deserve it ... BUT IT'S MINE! Glad you took the plunge ... and you guys still waiting in line ... hang in there, like a birthday ... it's comin'!

I'm actually thinking about ordering one of there specials with the .308 barrel. My only reason is I reload for .308's (got 3 of them lol) and not -06.

Back