CMP Garand or…..

popeyespappy

There are a few calibers I’d like to add to my collection: 243 Win, 260 Rem, 270 Win and 375 H&H. I also want a CMP Garand. The Garand was next on my list and I currently have $1000 set aside that was going to get me a service grade Garand and 1104 rounds of Greek. The problem is that now I have the chance to pick up a very lightly used Remington model Seven CDL in 260 Remington. It comes with a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36 scope a 3 die set of Reading dies, 176 pieces of brass and 24 rounds of Federal 140 Game Kings for $750. A pretty good deal for something I’d like to have. The problem is if I spend the cash on the 260 it is going to probably be next year before I can get the Garand.

What would ya’ll do?

Last edited:
When you buy a CMP Garand, you arnt buying a rifle, you are buying a piece of AMERICAN HISTORY.

Garands are drying up, there will always bee Model 700s in 260

I would get a H & R correct grade from the CMP if I had $1000.00 saved up. The one I recieved is a really nice example, shot very little and valued at $2500.00. (and not just my estimate)

M1 all the way. And when CMP runs out of the surplus 30-06 ammo, it will get expensive. So, they are not making M1's anymore, and they are not making cheap 30-06 anymore.

Lee

go garand, its a piece of history that will only go up. i shoot it twice a year and love every shot. i have personallhy turned 3 people on the it. hurry up while supplies left.
keep on shooting!!!!!!!

I have three M1 garands. All bought from CMP. I love them. they shoot great and are a very nice part of history. great for shooting and hunting.

I'd kill to live that close to Anniston. I've drive 6 hours from KY twice in 7 months to Anniston. Definitely go and pick your own if you can. I just love seeing all the old war horses resting in the racks. I was there this past saturday and picked 2 filed grade garands and WOW, there's a big difference between the best and worst rifles in a grade. Both of the ones I picked out guaged just over 1 at the muzzle, but more than a few almost swallowed the guage! My first one back in July was a H&R correct grade that guaged less than 1 ME and has a beautiful GI stock, so its a toos up to me over putting your 1G towards a correct, or to a service grade and ammo. Either way you decide, just get one while you still can!! The greek ammo shoots excellent too.

Greg

Garand hands down. I have one and will order when I return from across the pond if any are left!!! have already been stocking up on the LC and Greek HXP via their e-store for some time. Money available, order time... Oh, it reloads great!
Ken

Back