CMP Garand Arrived

Bob Thompson

Its been many winters since I handled and shot an M1 Garand for fun or qualification. My CMP M1 arrived today only after about 2 1/2 weeks since orderering. Its a Springfield model with fair stock, read much history, but today being one of my days off I headed out to my shooting spot and fired about four clips and functioning was supurb. Accuracy was as good as the open sights would allow. I have a real winner here. The nostalia trip alone was worth the money. Now maybe some updates, new stock,trigger job,etc.Maybe not, like someone here said before, if only it could talk. It was through TFL I acquired knowledge of the CMP and thanks to all in the program and everyone on TFL. What a trip.Bob

How did you go about getting a garand from CMP and how much did it cost you? I saw a thread on it earlier, but I guess I really didnt understand how the program works? Is the price always the same??? Or do you bid? What would an average shooter cost? And If Im not involved in a shooting club for competition, am I out of luck?? Sorry about all the dumb questions, any help you could give would be appreciated. I've always wanted a garand, and this could be a good place to start.

Congratulations on your acquisition. May it bring you many years of shooting pleasure.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Bob Thompson, Congratulations! You said many winters, where did you qualify with your M1?
I got my Winchester M1 through the DCM years ago and of course, loved it!
I think I will photograph my M1 and update my Rosie site with info directing folks to the CMP!
Best,
Hank Lampe

To HanKL, My qualification was at Fort LeonardWood, Missouri during basic training for the Army in 1960. I was one of the fortunate ones, who voluntered between conflicts around the world and I am thankful to now be able to enjoy my shooting without having someone shoot back. The Garand and me have finally made peace. It was a battle in '60 when I was about 140 lbs with the rifle. It seemed to almost get the better of me and I only qualified "Marksman" I am doing much better now and with the same 45 year old rifle. Oh what a bunch of experience will do for someone. Long winded but thanks for asking. Bob

Back