CMP Back Orders?

baddarryl

Hi all. I sent in a check for a Service Grade Garand before they sold out. I was told that all orders before x date would be placed in back order status. I was before that date. All I am getting from emailing the CMP is they will email me once the order is processed. Does anyone know what that means? Will they cash my check at that time and hold the funds until the order is fulfilled? Or will they not cash the check until the order is actually being filled? It has already been 2 1/2 months and I am not even sure how long personal checks are good for let alone that I have to cover it for what seems like forever. Maybe I should just email them again, but I am wondering what your experiences are in this scenario. Thanks!

In my experience they do not cash your check until your order is processed and ready to ship. When I bought mine from them years ago my check was not cashed for months. When it was cashed the rifle shipped about two days later.

I can tell you the CMP backorders for .22 ammo are really long....one of my orders took over 4 years to get filled, and I had to agree to a partial shipment even get that.

If I agree to upgrade to a Special Grade that they have in stock will they grant that? I know this is hard to say, but historically will a Special Grade be as strong as a good conditioned Service Grade? The Special has new barrel, stocks etc.

Last edited:
Usually they will allow you to upgrade without issue. Special grade is every bit as good, if not better than a service grade. It just lacks some of the history since, as you noted, it uses an aftermarket stock (Boyd's) and barrel (criterion). These newer components are generally performance enhancements.

Yes. The one Garand I have actually shot was Special. I was very impressed. Think I will try that. History really doesn't matter much as I will never sell the thing since it's a gift from my wifeepoo!

Back