CMP Arsenal M! Garands--your thoughts and experiences???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusternc

I am trying to fulfill all the requirements now to become eligible to purchase a Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) Arsenaled M1 Garand for $400 before the price goes up to $500 June 1st.

Have any of you here bought one of these lately, and if so how is the quality of the gun for the purchase price of $400? I am looking for something as a shooter that is reliable, shoots accurately, and is in good- very good condition as I like the collector aspect as well. Is this money well spent or am I just waisting $400 on junk? I don't wanna have to spend any more $$ getting the rifle in good safe working order. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Just out of curiosity, what would one normally pay for a mismatched M1 Garand in comparable condition outside of this program (on the local market)?? Just wondering if fulfilling all these requirements is actually saving me anything $$ wise over just buying one straight out from a dealer? Your thoughts?

Nathan..

I have two CMP Garands. Both are excellent rifles. One is one of the Danish Garands but it turned out to be all Springfield and in great shape. Don't pass this up at $400! Its a great buy.

You get what they send you but chances ae it will be a pretty good gun.

Look for the thread titled "CMP M-1" - I had a similar question that was answered by someone who sounded like he had some exposure to these guns while they still belonged to the military. They have been reconditioned, preserved and stored, and when they were turned over to CMP, they were in ready-to-issue condition. The one I just received is as described. The wood has its share of bruises, the forward handguard is slightly lighter and redder in color than the rest, and it has a narrow split on one side, but it's all sound. The metal is in its original gray-green parkerized color, and the high-friction areas (locking lugs, hammer/bolt interface, etc) are worn shiny. It does not have the sling, cleaning kit, or clips, but is complete otherwise. These won't be collector guns. They won't have all original parts. Any that do are graded "Collector" grade (or something like that) by CMP.

I have an appointment with a 'smith tomorrow - I'll let you know.

Jeff, I am glad that you got your rifle in, and that it is in good shape. The CMP Garands are a great deal, they are in good mechanical shape, and safe to fire. Some will be better than others depending on the luck of the draw. I received one several weeks ago, and by tracking down the SN, I found that it was made in late March of 1945, the barrel was made in early April of 45, so I am inclined to think that it is the original barrel. The op rod, trigger group, bolt, stock, and gas cylinder are all Springfield Armory parts. Original? I don't know, but they are in great shape. Throat Erosion is not quite a 3, rifling is in great shape, and the muzzle is tight. Even with these old 56 year old eyes, and 33 years since I was a competitor with the NM Garand, I was still getting 2" (8 shot)groups at 100 yards from a sitting position. I feel certain that the rifle may be capable of better than that! I only fired 2 8 round clips because I was firing LC-63 172 grain match ammo, and I was losing the brass in the grass. Guess I will have to get my tractor to my little private range and cut the grass( the wife ought to love that, seeing as how she can't get me to cut it at home)!
My advice is this....even at $500 a CMP Garand is a bargin! BUY IT!!!!

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited May 01, 2000).]

Got mine last month. Took about a month from sending my paperwork to its arrival -- from what I've heard it would have taken longer if I didn't have a CCW.

Mine is a Springfield from 1945, parts appear to be all original (some question on the barrel -- supposed to be 2-SA to 5-SA and mind is 6-SA or some such). Receiver has had the blueing worn away, stock has been banged around but was all matching.

Seems to shoot very well. I liked mine enough to go back and order a 'B' grade receiver to have built into a "new" gun.

Think about buying some ammo while you're at it -- you can send both orders in at the same time.

I've purchased three of the CMP Garands. I bought the select grade, a standard grade, and one without wood. The one without wood was the only disappointment, the barrel was very pitted, and the crown was totally screwed up, with a giant pit that was sure to make accuracy suck. I had to replace the barrel on that one, but the other two were excellent guns. It's a crap shoot, but well worth the money.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dzeanah:
Got mine last month. Took about a month from sending my paperwork to its arrival -- from what I've heard it would have taken longer if I didn't have a CCW.

[/quote]

I mailed my paperwork and money order on March 27th and the rifle arrived on April 18th. I do not have a CCW, CMP had to run it through the FBI computer just like a dealer would have. Possibly now they may be taking a little longer with everyone trying to beat the $100 price increase.

------------------
Carlyle

My M1 from the CMP is a great rifle, well worth the $400. However, lets talk about the "marksmanship" requirements...

In an email to the CMP (they are very good about responding) the requirement to show you have shot 50 rounds is just that...prove you have shot 50 rounds. They would have accepted a receipt from a shooting range showing time and 50 rounds fired, plus a letter from the range officer confirming same. In the end, I handed in an action pistol scorecard. Note that was action PISTOL. You don't have to shoot a rifle to meet requirements.

[This message has been edited by Forseti (edited May 02, 2000).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back