Clueless

Don P

I'm clueless about 1800's western handguns. I watched the movie pale rider in which Clint was using a 6 shooter that has a lever that broke downward and he replaced the loaded cylinders this way. Question? What type of pistol is it and are they reproduced in modern day cartrige's? Thanks in advance:)

that scene gets noticed alot. He had a Remington solid frame revolver that wears an 1858 date on top of the barrel of originals. that was the date that remington obtained the patent owned by the inventer one Beals. The revolver actually went into production in 1860, went through some evolutionary changes up until 1863 and stayed in production until 75. It was subject to conversion to cartridge form from the late 1860s onward and was replaced by a similar looking cartridge revolver. You can get modern conversion cylinders to shoot the 45 colt cartridge.

The Colt users also carried and used pre-loaded spare cylinders and many of the early Patersons came with extra cylinders for that purpose. The only representation I've seen of this in a movie was Jimmy Hickock practicing with his navy in an episode of Young Riders. Swapping cylinders in the remington at last appears faster than with the colt types which required pushing the wedge and removing/replacing the barrel to complete the operation. I suspect a practiced shooter could do it fairly quickly.
1858flpietta.jpg

Thanks

for the timely responce. That's what he had. Are there any manufacture's today reproducing this style pistol?

Oh Yes. Uberti, Pietta, Pedersoli, EuroArms. The design is one of the favorites of the current black powder shooters.The one above is a 25 year old Pietta. This one is a recent Uberti.
mec0002_380.jpg

Back