Club butt fowler/buccaneer fusil

Nick3220

Does anyone have experience with these firearms or own one? What caliber and barrel length? How well does it shoot? Recoil? Accuracy?

Does anyone know of any notable use of these weapons?

Thanks in advance.

The “Fowler” was a common firearm in colonial America. It was and is very versatile as it can use both round ball or shot charges.
I had on made for me by Mike Brooks. It is a copy of the New England#9 in Grindlade’s “Flintlock Fowlers”.
It weighs six pounds four ounces. It is 16 gauge with a 42 inch barrel and points like a wand.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 40
Neat. I always say that I am so myopic that if I were a Colonial, I would be better off with a light fowler, no point humping a heavy rifle when I could not see well enough to use its range.

A muzzleloader here had a 25 yard smoothbore target on the wall.
If shot with a modern handgun, it would be a pretty good score.

Not really an answer to your question, but I do have a club butt Dutch trade gun. I thought the club butt looked ungainly but actually comes to shoulder and points very naturally. Better actually than straighter stocks.

The “Fowler” was a common firearm in colonial America. It was and is very versatile as it can use both round ball or shot charges.
I had on made for me by Mike Brooks. It is a copy of the New England#9 in Grindlade’s “Flintlock Fowlers”.
It weighs six pounds four ounces. It is 16 gauge with a 42 inch barrel and points like a wand.
It is a copy of the New England#9 in Grindlade’s “Flintlock Fowlers”.

That's not quite what I meant, the club butt fowlers have a different stock.But what a beautiful firearm you've got there. Ive heard that those point extremely well.

How is it for recoil and accuracy? Have you taken any game with it?

Not really an answer to your question, but I do have a club butt Dutch trade gun. I thought the club butt looked ungainly but actually comes to shoulder and points very naturally. Better actually than straighter stocks.

I think that pretty much is what I'm asking about. Those long barreled, club butt guns. I knew the dutch made them as well.

I'd heard that the heavy stock helps balance the weapon but hadn't heard it described as natural pointing

What caliber is yours? How's accuracy and recoil? Or is yours just an old display piece?

Mine is a .62 caliber made by Leonard Day. I don't shoot very heavy loads in my smoothbores, so can't say too much about recoil. 70 grains of fffg shoots well and little recoil. Accuracy is on par with my other smoothbores, 5 or 6 inch groups off-hand at 50 yards. Gun can probably do better than the shooter though!

Back