CLP'd magazines reduce cartridge reliability?

Zak Smith

I keep a light coat of breakfree CLP on my metal magazines (inside & out), just enough that you can see. It is not enough to flow.

If I then load these magazines, will this amount of CLP render the cartridges ineffective after some amount of time?

I would think that your springs would take a set before this light coat of CLP could render your priming inert.
Hank

If you have enough CLP on your magazines that you can see it, you have too much CLP on your magazines. Wipe the magazines down with a clean cotton cloth so that you can not see the CLP, and they should be fine.

If these are just range magazines, loading them just before shooting should have no effect on the ammo. If they are carry magazines, the CLP could contaminate the primers and/or the powder in fairly short order.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

blades67 - I always wipe down the outside.

When I get "new" mags, I take them apart completely, wash them, lube the internals with some CLP, and then reassemble. I don't have a good method for wiping down the internals one they're assembled.

I take special care to wipe off any visible evidence of oiling from the interior of my magazines. Springs included. You don't want any lubed cases being chambered.

As a test, I loaded one of these "lubed" mags, and then unloaded it. None of the cartridges were oiled (CLP'd) more than they might be if I handled when with slightly greasy hands. I think they are OK in that respect.

-z

-z,

I also disassemble, clean with Hoppe's #9 and lube with CLP. The best way I have found to wipe off the excess CLP from the interior of the magazine tube is a cotton T-shirt. I take the shirt by the bottom hem and slide it into the magazine tube from the bottom until I can grab the grasp the shirt through the feed lips. I then pull the shirt through the magazine. The shirt will generally become jammed in the tube at about the middle of the shirt with staggered magazine tubes. I then pull the shirt almost out of the tube then back again two or three times. Withdraw the shirt and inspect the tube. If everything meets with my expectations I reassemble the magazine.

BTW, CLP will contaminate the primer and/or powder if given enough time. My magazines are all carried dry in this manner. I only leave CLP on them when I store them. Your cartridges should be free of all oils for reliability reasons.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

[This message has been edited by blades67 (edited April 26, 2000).]

Back