Close Range Scope Shot

Wingbone

Hello again guys,
I just got back from deer hunting in upstate NY. I shot a nice size 3 pointer (1 spike 1 fork) with my scoped 30-30 lever. Heres the thing, I sighted my scope in to shoot 1/2 inch high at 50 yds. I thought it was perfect. As luck would have it the deer came within 10 yds of my tree stand. It was facing away from me so I aimed at an angle where I thought Id hit the heart/lung area. I hit about 6 inches further back, or low if I was shooting level. I didnt think of it till after I saw the entrance wound but shooting so close I figure the line of sight must have been much higher than the bullet path. It ran about 100 yds and dropped. It was a gut shot but I must have hit something vital. Odd thing is I couldnt find an exit wound or the bullet! I was lucky in the fact that I lost no meat due to trauma. Anyway, just thought Id pass along the thought to keep in mind to aim high at very close range when useing a scope. Good hunting,
Ken

The general path of a bullet(in my experience is low to about 25yrds , then starts to rise (in the case of a sabot slugs that I shoot) to about 90yrds, then come down and zero at about 150yrds and then go down fairly hard. just my experience.. All rounds are diff though. I think most do dip in the first 25yrd though.

Some on this board probablyknow more than me though.

Back