Close calls ???

USGuns

Anyone have any "close calls" with their handguns they'd care to share so that the rest of us, particularly those of us new to the sport of shooting, don't make the same mistakes?!?! :D

This is a second hand story that happened to a friend of mine last week, although this type of thing happens a lot and has happened to me. People where in their shooting stalls and were shooting targets down range. A rather inexperienced and dangerous (because of the inexperience and ignorance) individual was shooting his gun when it jammed. Instead of doing a tap-rack drill, he turned the gun sideways to look at it and proceded to rack the slide. His finger remained in the trigger guard, on the trigger. While doing this, the gun was pointed at my friend's head who was working with another individual. All this happened without his knowledge. Another buddy witnessed the event.

Always be wary of where your gun is pointed, even if it is jammed or out of ammo. The gun should always remained pointed down range. If you don't know what to do with a jam, do not carry the gun with you to seek help. Either leave the gun in place, in this case on the counter of the shooting stall, or raise your hand and ask for help. Of course this last procedure may vary from range to range. Always follow range rules for dealing with problems.

Always be wary of where you gun is pointed. During every class I have taken, I have been 'swept' by someone with their gun. Sometimes it has been unloaded, sometimes not. 99% of the time, the person is focussed on something else, and this is where people get into trouble. I cannot stress this enough. Just like driving a car, distracted people with dangerous machines (guns, cars, flying planes, etc.) become very dangerous people.

There was another thread on the Remmington 700 where some lady was unloading it, had pointed in a safe direction, had a problem and redirected the rifle to get a better grip and it went off, shooting through a horse trailer and killing her son. She was focussed on the problem and not on being safe. Things I have witnessed include being swept by someone searching for a dropped bullet, somebody called their name and they turned around (sweeping all of us), had a jam and were trying to fix it similar to above, had their front sight or rear sight come loose and turned from the firing line in search of a tool - gun still loaded with a round in the chamber and others in the mag, were injured while firing or had hot brass drop down their shirt and in the process of dancing around, pointed at us.

It depends on where you shoot, but we operate on the idea that safety is everyone's business. There is no room for politeness when someone is absent-mindedly pointing a gun at you. If you do not make people aware of their problems, they will continue to make mistakes and for these types of mistakes, someone may get seriously hurt or killed. People don't like to be corrected, but it is better that their egos be hurt than you be dead. And they may not appreciate it, but if you keep them from killing someone by accident, you have saved them a lot of money and possibly jail time.

As an aside, after resetting targets or some lull in firing, it is not a bad idea to verify everyone is wearing their 'ears' before you start shooting. If there is no range master and you wish to start shooting, it is a good idea to call "Range is hot! Eyes and Ears on!" then wait a few seconds before blasting away. Your fellow shooters will appreciate it.

OK...here's two for you (they were 15 years apart)

I'd just bought a Glock 17 (my first semi-auto, my second handgun). I was target shooting at an informal range when I realized it was almost time to go to work. I got into my Chevy S-10 and ejected the magazine. I was just ready to dry fire the Glock (which one must to to fit it in the factory case...has a boss that the trigger guard goes over) when I thought..."maybe I better...". When I racked the slide to check the chamber, the last round flipped out. Would have been a bitch to explain to my insurance company how I shot my windshield out!
Now, some semi-auto's have a magazine safety (can't fire the gun if the magazine is out). Glocks don't...and I don't care for magazine safeties.

The second one was about eight months ago...
I was decocking a Colt Series 80 1911 (tended to carry Condition Two at that time) when my thumb slipped....BANG!!.
Scared the hell out of the dog...me too! The round went thru the baseboard heat...just nicking the fins. I had Triton Frangibles in the gun. The hole thru the metal cover was easily the size of my thumb.

I don't often carry 1911's (too heavy), but the times I do now, it's locked and cocked. And I always eject the mag and cartridge before I enter the house.

There you go...two Delta Sierra's for your edification.

USGuns, probably 80% or more of the folks here have made a mistake and either "swept" someone or shot something in their home. The best advice for you is to remember the four rules of firearms handling and go over them in your head every time you're handling a gun. Eventually it becomes a habit. Over Christmas, I was playing some kind of video shooting game. My nephew walked in front of the TV and, instinctively, I pointed the video gun at the floor. He's well-versed in firearms and thought it was funny, but he could well have been de-particalized. ;)

Dick

1. Always treat guns as if they are loaded
if you forget this, remember;
2. Always point guns at a safe direction
if you forget this, remember;
3. Keep your finger off the trigger unless you want to fire
the gun

There are many more gun safety rules, but if you follow the three above you are less likely to embarrass your self anytime soon.

Dry-fired my sig w/out first checking to make sure it was truly empty. Well, I think you can guess what happened. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

I violated rule #1. I assumed a gun was empty when it was really loaded. Luckily, I was saved by rule #2. The gun was pointed at a concrete block wall.

These rules really mean something. They exist for a reason. Learn them - live them.

Well my little accident happen with a 12 guage:) I think I was around 15-16 living with my parents. I was going hunting the next day and pulled the shotgun out of the closet to give it the once-over. I was sitting on the bed with the gun pointed straight up between my legs when I pulled the trigger to release the pump. Well, you know what happen then. Luckily I was on the second story cause it went through my ceiling and also the main roof. All this and my parents didn't even wake up! A little putty work and they never knew what happen;) That was until my mom went into the attic one day!:D

Josh

A 1911 hammer drop again...Sent a Silvertip 185 between the sofa cushion and skidding across the wood frame about 6 inch gouge, stopping in rear of sofa. An attention getter from a benevolent God...Nothing hurt except my pride...Sold that sucker for a Sig 220...

I just decided that the story I spent 20 minutes typing in, although 20 years ago, displays SUCH a level of stupidity on my part, that I can't share it, even with you guys....

I've been fortunate enough not to have had an ND so far. One of the things that I do to help remind me of the safety rules is that I got my NRA instructor certification and now teach Basic Pistol classes. Teaching the classes helps instill good practices IN ME. Hopefully it does the same for my students. When you've been reciting the three basic NRA rules to students, it becomes very obvious if you suddenly violate those rules.

None of my students have swept me or other students. But in my last class I did have to grab the barrel of a gun when one student had a failure and started being foolish.

M1911

My ND was down by the river after I'd just gotten my first handgun, a Ruger P89. I used to pull the trigger and feel the difference in pull between "safe" mode and "fire" mode. Well, for whatever reason it felt the same that time and BANG it went. Into the dirt but in the direction of where my car was parked. Sure would have had some splainen to do if it had hit my car! My gun handling has improved since then. Now if I could just get out to practice safe gun handling more often!

I think we are all lucky that Darwinian behaviors sometimes give us a warning before allowing ourselves to be removed from the gene pool permanently.

Ezeckial's Glock 17 story is a good one to remember. It is important that you drop the mag first, then rack the slide to clear the gun of a bullet before assuming it is unloaded. Most people tell you to drop the mag, rack the slide at least a couple of times, and then visually check that the gun is unloaded. If you rack the slide first, the round ejects, and then you drop the mag, you have NOT cleared the gun, only loaded the next round into the chamber. Drop, rack multiple times, then inspect. It is very important.

Friend (no really! it WAS a friend) called me to say he had almost blown his head off with his Inglis Hi-Power. He works as a promoter and deals with lots of cash. he normally carries a SIG P220 but had left it at the office right before he was due at a show.

He grabbed his old Inglis and shoved it into a shoulder holster designed for the 220. Normally he would carry cocked and locked; but the 220 holster's thumb break kept slipping off and it was what was holding the gun in. So he lowered the hammer on a live round for condition two carry (All the slowness of condition three carry with less safety than condition one!) and tugged on the thumb break to get it to fit around the gun.

As he arrived at the show office, he took off the shoulder holster like a jacket and set it on the table. At this point, the thumb break he had struggled to get around the Hi-Power came off completely - dumping the Hi-Power on the hard concrete floor hammer first. The gun was an old Inglis Hi-Power manufactured for the Chinese during WWII. It still had the original firing pin spring, which apparently had weakend over the years to the point that it allowed the gun to fire - putting a hole into the table and the concrete ceiling.

Lessons Learned:

1) Carry your gun in a quality holster designed for that gun. The holster doesn't have to cost a fortune but be ultra wary of holsters in ballistic nylon or "one-size fits all kinds of guns".

2) Condition two carry of single-actions is really a bad idea. If you don't believe me, read back through the thread and count the discharges attributable to condition two carry. It is every bit as slow as condition three (empty chamber) and less safe than condition one (cocked and locked).

3) Make sure your gun is mechanically sound. In this case, you could certainly question the wisdom of carrying around a 50yr old gun with 50yr old springs. There is more to the mechanical check than just checking for reliability. The gun must not only go bang every time you pull the trigger; it must also NOT go bang when the trigger hasn't been pulled.

Last year myself and a couple of friends were at the range I heard a "ping" looked around and thought nothing more of it.A short time later I went to the rear to get more ammo from my range bag and found a intact spent .40 cal bullet inside with a nice hole in my bag. If I had been standing there a few moments earlyer...:)

A friend of mine was teaching his girlfriend to shoot a pistol. He used a High Standard Olympic, which has a VERY light trigger pull. She aimed carefully, fired one shot, then turned, pointed the pistol right between his eyes and said sweetly, "What do I do to make it shoot again?"

Fortunately she did not do it.

Jim

Well, I just had a close call about 1/2 hour ago. I have been testing out several powders for some really low velocity .45 Colt rounds. I stapled a target to a thick (~18") block of oak and commenced to fire away at about 15 yds. On the third shot, I saw the bullet coming straight back at me when it was about 10 ft. away, no time to move - it missed my head by about 6 inches. I went to examine the block of wood and saw that none of the bullets had penetrated more than 1/4" and none were embedded in the wood. All 3 had ricochetted somewhere. Fortunately they were very slow after leaving the wood so they couldn't have gone more than 30 yards, if that far. The bullet I saw couldn't have been doing greater than 80 fps. But I still wouldn't want to be hit in the head with it. I moved the target to a soft piece of pine and it worked fine. I even found most of the bullets behind the wood intact. The only noticeable markings were the land impressions. They were Laser-Cast 200 gr. RN.

Moral: Don't shoot at hardwood with a slow bullet.

When i was 16 my friend had a cobray M-11 (or mac, not sure) I emptied it. Fondled it. put it down (still empty) went to the bathroom. came back, tested trigger pull one more time. shot hole in wall 6 inches from my best friends head.

Lesson learned: Always check the gun after leaving it. hell, check it even if u just put it down. Better yet, Check it every time you touch it.

In case you havent figured it out. He saw the gun sitting there unloaded and decided to load it up. I guess he thought i was done with it. His uncle was in the next room sleeping. He didnt even wake up.

Every time I pick up a gun that day plays thru my head like a movie. I will NEVER EVER let anything like that happen ever again!

Tim

Back