Clip capacity, how many?

Frosty

What do you think the ideal clip capacity (if there was no ban) for your semi-auto pistol would be and why?
Just wondering.:D

Frosty, first of all, it seems to be a no-no at forums to call them "clips". They must be called 'magazines' in forums. :)

I think the ideal is 15-17. Much more and you'll have your magazine sticking out the bottom of your grip.

I would want one of the magazines I see in the movies. They never have to be reloaded.
I would save allot on ammo as well as not be bothered by carrying a backup magazine.

Does anyone know where I could order one?

22LR: 100
9mm: 20
40S&W: 15
45ACP: 12
Because it can be done.

I say design the pistol to fit the hand and the task, and then see how many rounds fit. My Ruger holds 15, and that's great. A 1911 holds 8, and that's great too.

Soldiers and cops have jobs that involve prolonged firefights, and they need all the capacity they can carry. Most civilians in "social encounters" fire only 2 - 3 shots. There's no way to predict whether you'll need more, but statistics says that the likelihood of need decreases with each additional round (4 is highly likely, 5 a bit less so, and by the time you get to 15 - 20, it's way out on the thin end of the bell curve).

If you carry almost any modern handgun and a reload (mag or speedloader), you should be stocked up for 99.99999999% of whatever you might encounter.

NOTE: This is not to say I support the stupid 10 round rule, because I don't.

Currently -- not to say this won't change -- my preferred carry autoloaders are all .45 ACPs: a Kimber and a Springfield 1911A1 "type", a Sig P-220, and an H&K USP. For these handguns, 10+1 is a pretty reasonable load.

Specifically for the 1911A1s: (a) I don't trust "double stack" functionality and (b) I find the McCormick 10 round magazine, which protrudes <1 inch from the grip's base, is both reliable and acceptable for CCW.

Capacity vs. caliber?

You've got to reach a compromise, I think, between magazine capacity and the pure diameter of the bullets you plan on putting in it.

Let's not get into the ".45 vs .40" debate here. IMHO the .45 is still the champ, so if I pick that particular caliber, my magazine capacity would have to be 16, like the double-stack Para-Ordinance came out with just before the ban came into effect.

Well....for my USPSA Limited gun 21 is as many as I can stuff in it :D

It really depends on the purpose. However I belive you should be able to put as many in it as is possible within the design. But, magazine capacity is not my overiding concern when choosing a gun.

Your question: What do you think the ideal clip(sic) capacity (if there was no ban) for your semi-auto pistol would be and why?

My answer: For a 9mm UZI? 300 No doubt about it.

Why? Because I could. :D

A 'clip' is a device used to facilitate putting cartridges into what is usually an integral fixed box magazine. :D

The magazine capacity should be whatever number of cartridges that the designer intended the weapon to contain at any one time.

LawDog

Ideal? Like it was designed

The ideal for me would be the days before the asinine ban. Capacity as it is standard all over the world.

9mm: calico pistol w/50rd mags balances great; great idea, bad timing

.45: eaa witnes w/12rd mags concealed and handles as well as a browning hp

and lastly, if slightly off thread, the 12ga 12shot neostead because it points better than a styer aug

10-13 rounds for .45 ACP (12 being ideal in .45)
15-17 rounds for 9mm (15 is ideal for me in 9mm)
20 rounds for .22 LR (if possible in a pistol)

Note: Any magazine that has been "Klinonized" to hold 10 or less rounds is a "Low capacity" magazine. There is no such thing as "hi caps"....magazines that hold more than 10 are simply "standard magazines".

[Edited by Quantum Singularity on 01-24-2001 at 12:14 AM]

Wow, I guess I'm the only one who thinks a 45 should be 8+1 or under depending on grip length. Too much of my Dads trait in me, grew up on the single-stack :).

If I want a hi-cap, a 15-17rd 9mm will do.

A good compromise, a 10-13rd 40/357cal.

I know it's all subjective. But I feel these are the "standard" capacity for each caliber.

Back