Clinton's $15 Million gun folly

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
This editorial, by Edmund McGarrell, appeared yesterday in The Washington Times.

Here is the link: http://www.washtimes.com/opinion/ed3.html

Here is an excerpt:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The horrendous crimes in Columbine, Atlanta, Los Angeles, and Illinois and Indiana, have resulted in a frenzy of new gun control proposals. Perhaps none are as silly as President Clinton's call for $15 million to be used for gun buy-back programs. Although well-intentioned when called for by local residents fed up with firearms violence, the president must know better...

The shame of the matter is that it comes at a time when we have evidence of promising firearms violence strategies. Justice Department-sponsored studies in Kansas City and Indianapolis shown that police patrols directed at illegal gun carrying in violent crime hot spots can result in reductions of 40 percent to 50 percent in gun crime....

The Kansas City and Indianapolis projects mentioned above cost approximately $150,000 for overtime police patrols. What if the $15 million was used to support these types of patrols in the 65 cities that account for approximately one-half of the homicides in the United States? How many federal prosecutors could be hired to specialize on gun crime prosecutions? The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and has 1,631 agents, nine more than in 1973. If the $15 million were used to hire more agents, how many illegal traffickers could be put out of business? How many felons found to be illegally attempting to purchase weapons background checks could be arrested and prosecuted?[/quote]

OK, here's my question, I haven't heard this posed anywhere else and I don't know the answer. Where does this money come from and how can one man (the prez) authorize such an expenditure?

I'm pretty sure us taxpayers are footing the bill, but how can Klinton just decide how much and where it goes? Isn't there a budget of some kind that the Government has to stick to? What about the Appropriations Committees?

If someone has answers I would really appreciate some help on this subject.

RKBA!

[This message has been edited by TheBluesMan (edited September 16, 1999).]

Bluesman,

The president has the ability through executive orders to do a great deal. I do not know what the spending limit is or when congress has to get involved for funding. But, think about it. He can pull the 15 million from any number of budgets. This amount of money is petty cash for BATF, Justice Department, DEA, etc.

I heard that the states would be limited to $50 per firearm. This would be great. On the dark day, I would be off to the side offering to double the money on selected guns.

This whole thing is just more proof that Klinton left his brains on Monica's dess.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

interesting......

"Justice Department-sponsored studies in Kansas City and Indianapolis shown that police patrols directed at illegal gun carrying in violent crime hot spots can result in reductions of 40 percent to 50 percent in gun crime....
"

Being from KC...... the Kansas City newspapers/radio/TV have NEVER made any mention of a study or of a project like the one listed above....

If they are doing it... they are doing it with fewer people (the force is down from last year as they are waiting for money to hire/train new recruits) and in secret....

Joe Portale "This whole thing is just more proof that Klinton left his brains on Monica's dess".

so thats what that stain was.... and here I thought that it was Mcdonalds special sauce....

Back