• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Click posters name, cannot use options in drop-down menu

Trip20

When viewing a thread, and I want to click the posters name to select "Send ______ a private message" or "Send _______ an email", I come to a screen which tells me I've specified an invalid user, and to contact an administrator. :confused:

I have no problem when doing this on THR (from both my work and home PC). Additionally, I have no problem using this feature on TFL from my work PC, only my home PC.

Have I screwed up my settings somehow???

Thanks....

It is possible that the user you are trying to contact has chosen to not receive private messages and emails. It is also possible that they have been banned. There are a few other possibilities, but those are the most probable.

Hope this helps. :)

-Dave

Thanks, TheBluesMan. However, this happens when trying to use this option for any member. And not just PM'ing or emailing... anything in that drop down menu. I dunno... no issues with my work PC... and no issues when navigating THR. It only occurs on my home PC when using TFL. Weird! :confused:

If you wouldn't mind suggesting those other possibilities, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Unfortunately, Trip, the other possibilities are that the problem is on your end. :(

I suspect a browser issue. Are you running Internet Exploder and is it up-to-date? I heartily endorse Firefox if you're considering a switch.

Yes sir, IE is my browser at the moment. I don't disagree that the problem is on my end.

However it is interesting how my home PC (using IE) has issue with TFL, but not THR.

It's equally interesting how my work PC (using IE) has no issue with TFL or THR.

It's not a big deal. At any rate, thanks for your attention. :)

Back