Clearing A Loaded Chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike H

Can someone tell me the correct method of clearing a loaded chamber in a semi-auto.

Originally I used to just rack the slide and let the round land on a convenient surface (bed, worktop, carpet etc), but then someone told me to cover the ejection port with my hand as I jacked the slide and catch the bullet as it was ejected. This sounded neat and professional until I heard some horror stories of rounds "lighting off" as the primer contacted the exposed firing pin when the slide was jacked to the rear, this then blowing a molten hole in the palm of the very surprised shooter.

So just how should I "make safe" ?? advice appreciated.

------------------
Mike H

They way I normally do it is:

1) Take out magazine.
2) Point in a convenient location, away from anything you don't want to shoot.
3) Hold gun by bottom of magazine well.
4) Slowly rack the slide back.
5) Cartridge usually falls down magazine well into your hand.

You milage may vary...

------------------
Peace through superior firepower...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

Mike:

1. Strong hand grips weapon normally, with trigger finger OFF trigger.
2. Remove magazine.
3. Weak hand over ejection port, gripping slide firmly.
4. Roll pistol over, pointing the ejection port toward ground.
5. Pull slide to rear, allowing round in chamber to be extracted. Round will drop into weak hand.
6. Continue with weak hand to push slide to rear and lock back, or ease it forward to close action.

For the record...I've heard the same stories over the years, but never from someone I know personally who saw it happen or experienced it. I've been using the above described technique for approx 30 years and have never had a round discharge due to primer striking ejector.

Mike

Ditto to Mike's comments.

I did have a Gunsite GSP from Ted Yost that had an annoying habit of ejector "pings" on the primer....not a good situation. A local smith resolved the problem.

Perhaps it is not completely safe to cover the ejection port. But, if I'm familiar with the weapon and have seen no evidence of primer strikes, I still use it.
YMMV.
Rich

Mike hit the nail on the head.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I heard both methods from equally skilled
instructors. Ayoob says he has seen
the hand over port boom.

I choose not to do this one. YMMV

I have a personel friend who had a round go off, and cause some damage to his hand, while clearing the chamber after the last stage of an USPSA match in Toledo, Ohio last year. It can happen. Especially with an extended ejector.
Maybe if you bring the slide back slowly there won't be enough energy to detonate the primer.

Neil Casper

Cat makes a good point I should have emphasised...I pull the slide back rather slowly. No need to slam it to the rear when clearing the chamber.

Mike

I know all of you are accomplished hadgunners. That having been said, I will not be putting my hand over the ejection port with a live round for any amount of fame,money,love or power. I like my weak hand and I shoot with it as well.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back