Cleaning????

BIGJACK

Man I see a lot of difference in the fouling with the new remington primers and I was just wondering if anyone is using brake cleaner for the innitional cleaning on the bore? Seems to work good for me> Are there any pitfall with this that I don;t know about????

Break cleaner works good but I like just cheap windex from the dollar store. Spray all the parts and inside the bore and the cylinder with it. Let sit a few minutes and the crude comes right off. After everything is clean I spray it all down with a good coat of WD-40 and then I blow it all out with my compressor. Swab out the bore and cylider holes with dry patches and I like to use q tips to get to the bottom of the chambers real good. Run a pipe cleaner inside the nipples and then run your nipple pick in the holes just to get rid of any fuze or crude left behind.
If I'm doing a total strip and clean I do it the same way and have never had a bit of trouble.Never had a bit of trouble useing the Remington caps either.

I assume that after the wd 40 treatment you follow up with some sort of non-evaporating lubricant???:confused:
Thanks for the info.:)

A lot of people like regular gun oil on their bp guns, and that's fine, but I like to use either bore butter or plain old lard on the external parts and anti-seize lube on the internal parts. The manufacturers suggest the use of non-petrolium based lubericants so that's what I've been using.

BigJack, My revolvers don't sit long enough for the WD-40 to evaporate. I have used it on all my guns for many years with no ill effects.Just before I load it I will lube the cylinder pin, cylinder star and the barrel. Then I run a dry patch down the barrel. Also always lube either over the ball or over the wad. You don't need lube if you use a wad but I use it keep things running smooth and clean. If I'm cleaning one to put it away for a while I just use a very light coat of Hopes gun oil. If it will be on the wall or locked up for a short time the WD-40 works great.Keep in mind that I'm a nut when it comes to clean guns and none of them are ever put a way for long without checking them and a light wipe down.

Back